Road condition Bourke to Wilcannia

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:24
ThreadID: 24225 Views:13541 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, driving from Adelaide to Brisbane next week with fully loaded trailer behind the 4by. After studying the map i reckon the quickest route would be via unsealed road following the Darling from Wilcannia to Burke - Any Comments?

Anyone know the current condition of this road and whether it would be suitable with a 10 x 6 trailer?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:16

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:16
Hi Twigiee

We did a similar trip couple of weeks ago, part of our Brisbane to Perth jaunt.
We were frustrated there was no apparent more direct black-top route. Decided to stick to bitumen hoping to make better time that way. (not having to worry about ruts or mud).

We went Bris to Goondi, Gilgandra, Willcannia, Broken Hill - 1500 k's took 17 hours. (no trailer). Easy drive on reasonably good roads -some works just outta Gilgandra on west side.

If you do find a more direct route which is faster, please let us know.

Thanks.

AnswerID: 117716

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:32

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:32
Good question. Bourke-Wanaaring-Wilcannia appears open (along with most of the roads in the region). Sunday previous it was closed when we passed by. 3500km+ detour to get home to Birdsville from Windorah.....via Charleville-Cunnamulla-Bourke-Cober-Wilcannia-etc.

I'd bet it's open and won't be a problem....but I've lost a lot of bets lately.....

Good Luck.

Karsten
AnswerID: 117718

Reply By: Chaz - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:09
Twigiee,
I travel from Adelaide to Bourke every year.
The roads on both sides of the Darling can be bad at any time, with plenty of washouts on the eastern side, south of Louth. If you want to do dirt, then as previously suggested, go through Wanaaring and Fords Bridge onto Bourke. If you want to stigk to the black stuff, then keep going onto Cobar and then head north from there, as that is the easiest way and the quickest.
Have a good trip.
Chaz
AnswerID: 117724

Follow Up By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:09
Chaz,
When you go north from Cobar, do you head straight for Bourke? If so, and you go over to Moree,that makes the Cobar to Brisbane trip 1083 klms. If you go from Cobar to Gilgandra, Moree, Bris its 1084. This is using Travelmate planner anyway
http://www.nowwhereroute.com/travelmate/mapmaker/mappage.aspx?type=bourke_NSW_moree_NSW
There are a myriad of roads out there: do you know a way of by passing Bourke after heading north from Cobar, to link up with Moree road?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 373051

Follow Up By: Chaz - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:38

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:38
AVA 191,
Yes, I normally only go as far as Bourke and then I head west again, but personally I wouldn’t go this way to Brisbane. From Adelaide I would go to Nyngan, Gilgandra and then Moree and onto Brisbane. I only suggested to go to Bourke via Cobar because Twigiee said that he wanted to travel to Brisbane via Bourke.
The only way that I know of to go from Bourke to Moree is through Brewarrina and Walgett.
Personally, I think if your trying to get there quickly, then I would stay off the unsealed roads. Even some of the better gravel roads out there are unsafe to travel on over 80kph, where you can always do 100 on bitumen. If your in no hurry, and want to see some great country, then by all means travel the back roads and enjoy the drive.
Chaz
FollowupID: 373054

Follow Up By: Twigiee - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:57

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:57
thanks Chaz - (i see your point - brisbane via bourke is not really the way to go)

So out of the route you suggested and the one i mentioned (response below), what do you reckon would be the best i.e quickest?

Twigiee
FollowupID: 373058

Follow Up By: Chaz - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:19
Twigiee
Broken Hill, Wilcannia, Cobar, Nyngan, Warren, Gilgandra, Coonabarabran, Narrabri, Moree, Goondiwindi, Warwick, Ipswich and Brisbane.
The shortest way by my maps.
Chaz
FollowupID: 373075

Reply By: Twigiee - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:52

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:52
Thanks for the responses. I think i was thinking on the wrong track (no pun intended).

I was thinking that via broken hill, and possibly bourke would be the most direct and therefore quickest, despite the unsealed roads. Looking on the travelmate website (thanks for the link) shows that via tailem bend and dubbo would be similar distance (approx 2000k's) with no dirt. It seems this would be the quickest and most 'hasstle free' route....

Thanks again, twigiee
AnswerID: 117743

Follow Up By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:35

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:35
Hi Twigiee,
Last year I towed a CT from Brissie to Hahndorf, via Warwick, Gilgandra, Balranald, Ouyen & had an easy run. Just another option to confuse the situation.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 373069

Follow Up By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:47

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:47
Twigiee,

I would follow your route through Tailem Bend and Dubbo, its 30 odd k shorter - but more because I haven't done that leg before LOL and I always like to try a different route.
Obviously I have no idea what that leg is like but from Parkes/Dubbo I would expect etc it is a good run up to Brisbane - few years since I've done that bit. (Gilgandra to Bris is definitely ok. couple of weeks ago)

I would recommend following the directions given at Goondi - 3k left (West) then heading up north, then taking the Millmerran/Pittsworth/Toowoomba route. The road from Goondi through Inglewood to Warwick, though bitumen, is rough, thus trailer unfriendly.

enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 373072

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:29

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:29
The most direct route is to go via Broken Hill Wilcannia, Bourke, then there are a couple of options from there. Either north then east through southern Queensland or east to Moree and up into Brisie from there. Under normal conditions it takes about 6 hours from Broken Hill to Bourke either via the dirt beside the river or on the blacktop from Cobar north.

As for the road conditions. The Paroo has minor flooding at the moment and as the water moves south and east towards White Cliffs various roads in the area will close and open. The best way to check is to contact the Visitor Info in Broken Hill 1800 630 008 or the Broken Hill Police 08 8087 0299. The Visitor centre is Council run and they seem to get the info first.

According to the ABC Radio broadcast this morning the Tib to Wanaaring Rd is currently closed as are a few others in the same area, loike Wnaaring to White Cliffs.
Although I have never travelled it the road up the eastern side of the Darling from Wilcannia to Bourke may be a good option. But check first with BH Visitor Info Centre.

Duncs
AnswerID: 117749

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 22:20
Hey Twigiee.... Call me when you get a moment... I destroyed my phone which in turn destroyed all my numbers....
I have just returned home...
Awesome trip but i think i gave a 5metre salty a NOKIA bellyache...
We have to have a coupla Scotches b4 you leave...
AnswerID: 117982

Reply By: Twigiee - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:39

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:39
Thanks for the information. I'm going to drive via broken hill, but on the blacktop - I'll save the direct, unsealed roads for a non-trailer trip.

Voxson - Long time no hear....If the croc calls me I'll ask for my sunglasses back too! I'll give you a call.

Twigiee
AnswerID: 118191

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:07

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:07
Thats a good idea cause most of the roads around Broken Hill are closed now due to the rain.
Road closures in the area

Baz.
FollowupID: 373381

Sponsored Links