towing with an auto 100 series

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:04
ThreadID: 24228 Views:3103 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I want to tow with my 99 petrol 100 but I'm not sure about the auto transmition, do I need a cooler for it, is so does anyone know how much they are?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vitara - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:22

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:22
Hi philzer, mate depends on what you intend towing, if your only towing a box trailer with not much in it I wouldn't bother but if you intend towing a resonable size trailer /caravan/boat then I would certainly look into getting 1 fitted,also if you intend doing a lot of 4wding where you will be working it pretty hard eg sand. My mate has a nissan xtrail(I know not a fair dikum 4wd) but when his transmission (auto) gets hot a light comes on the dash but it also reverts back to 2wd great when you are trying to get out of the sand had to tow him with the old faithfull hilux anyway getting back to the subject. I thought they already had a cooler mounted in front of the radiator anyway, could be mistaken if not their would be plenty of mechanical shops that should know your requirements Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 117717

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:38

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:38
Gday
Your auto already has a huge cooler on it....and it will tow no problem....just dont tow in 4th gear...i know others may disagree, but it puts alot of strain on the gears in the box, which causes heat and wear, and you dont get much better economy anyway, as the 4.5 has max torque at 3400 rpm.
Tow in power mode and you wont be in overdrive till you reach 100 clicks anyway...there might be a good reason for that!!!
If your auto light comes on.....the box has got too hot already....and its time to change the oil...have a search on the web for extreme transmissions by wholesale transmissions in Bayswater Melb...Rodney knows whats going on better than i.
Andrew
AnswerID: 117733

Follow Up By: viz - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:10

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:10
You're right - others may disagree :)

Have only just done 10,000 km in my auto petrol LC100, and still working out how the gearbox operates. It appears that the lock-up clutch (sometimes mistakenly called overdrive) activates in 3rd as well as 4th, but not 2nd and 1st and disengages down hill (I think).

I agree that it is good to use the power button - but for a different reason: it delays the changes points, keeps the revs in the torque curve and thus engages the lock-up sooner after the change-up. This means that the torque converter is not slipping and converting power from the engine to heat - this convertor slippage is what heats the box - if it is healthy (unhealthy boxes, with slippage from the bands and clutches will burn the oil very quickly - gearbox temps may not go up in this case as it is oil between the band and drum, or between the clutch plates that burn. Sniff the oil off the dipstick when you check it - if it smells like well BBQ-ed bacon (true!) get it serviced urgently).

Getting the lockup engaged is what saves the box from overheating - this is why some auto box vendors/reari centres sell a seperate switch to manually lock up the converter. Much better for towing.

Sand driving can be a killer - towing through sand can terminally overheat the box. If you are thinking of doing lots of that, invest in a gearbox temp guage. Be wary of temps above 120º and if you go above 150º, flat top the car back to the service centre (I kid you not - the tow truck will be cheaper than the repair bill if you keep going...)

i service my auto boxes every 20,000 km or one year. I do not use fancy oils - just Dextron II or III (my auto man will not warranty his boxes if synthetic oils are used - and after having done 160,000 with one of his autos with a 260 kw/580 nm motor in front I'll take his word for it thanks :) Synthetics are too slippery and promote slippage and thus burning in the bands/clutches - though I have to say that guy in Melbourne does use them in his boxes. Wonder how he gets away with it...

Have a read of this link - I find the guy pretty good, but do disagree (at this stage, until I get more info) with his choice of oils for the auto:

this link

Th following is the guy who I use in Sydney and he did a superb job on a sadly misused auto box in my Cruiser. I have used the workshop associated with him (Vince) since 1996 - it is said he is arguably one of the best auto guys in Oz - just a personal endorsement - I don't get any discounts :(

Powershift

/viz

FollowupID: 373098

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:32

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:32
Gday Viz
Your a442f auto does all sorts of wonderful things, incuding locking the converter in 2nd whilst in economy....next time your going up hill in economy, pull it back into 2 and see the revs pick up.
The best info here for the tower would be to use power button, and dont worry about the gearbox...these auto's are almost bulletproof....mine has a shift kit in it to assist with handling the safari turbo...and i use dextron 3 :-)
Andrew
FollowupID: 373101

Follow Up By: viz - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:46

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:46
Hi Dozer! :)

Not hunnerd % that mine does that 2nd gear thing but will investergate in the weekend - gonna freeze off the wobblies at Blayney (Xmas in July)

I agree with what you say with towing. Power and leave it alone - the gearbox will look after the rest...

May put a shift kit in it at the next service - which one did you put in?

/viz
FollowupID: 373103

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 22:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 22:09
Gday
I had Rodney build me an extreme 2 valve body and i used his instructions and 10 litres of new oil....it was amazing how much oil still resides inside the auto once the sump is drained....another 4 litres fell over me!!!
Andrew
FollowupID: 373109

Follow Up By: vitara - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:39

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:39
Hi Viz, this bloke vince you talk about is he at blacktown???? Take care Vitara
FollowupID: 373127

Reply By: Burradoo - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:18

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:18
I have just towed a TrakShak (loaded weight approx 1100 kilos) across the Anne Beadell with a 99 100 series petrol auto without any trouble at all. I agree it is a good idea to put the power lock on and be prepared to go down to 2nd in high range for the more significant sand dunes. I didn't go down to low range much at all. It did drink a fair bit of petrol though: average 4.2 kpl from Laverton to Coober Pedy but probably down to 3kpl over the worst of the sandy country. This compares with about 4.6 kpl on highway consumption with the TrakShak in tow and about 4.9kpl unladen travelling at 100 - 110 kph. Thus I don't believe you need any kind of transmission cooler
AnswerID: 117747

Sponsored Links