Walkers crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:30
ThreadID: 24270 Views:2036 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Moomba to Birdsville track via Walkers crossing, would anyone have trek notes with GPS references that I could beg , borrow ,or steal for a trip planned up that way. ( more beg )
The tracks through there can be a little confusing I've heard.
Big John you been that way yet?
Charlie Oscar Lima calling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:44

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:44
Harry,

There is a plot file available in PlotSwap. It shows the exact route. See Walkers Crossing in plotswap.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 117972

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:47

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:47
Oh and it is currently closed. See the SA Deserts Road Conditions reports Innamincka Section.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 117974

Reply By: Harry - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 22:01
Thanks David, tried a search but nothing came up.
You guys are doing well, thanks for the site.
I'm not a member, so I can't download the file anyway.
All I need are a start co-ord, 1/4 way and Walkers and the Birdsville connection to see me through.
I'm a hand held GPS and paper map guy, us old surveyors like a bit of a challenge to make it more interesting.
Thanks for the prompt reply mate, somebody will bounce back with the info somewhere.
Have a great "Aussee" day.
H
AnswerID: 117978

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 22:54

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 22:54
Harry,

I found the plot and road conditions links using the Site Search system and using Walkers Crossing as the search string. It found these pages in the first few results.

Do you have some map views available under your visitor profile? If you have launch the dynamic mapping system on the Walkers Crossing plot and zoom in a little to the track then using the mouse you will see the lat/longs being displayed as you move the mouse around the screen. So find the best points of interest - intersections and the like and you can make a note of the displayed lat/longs and enter them into you GPS. YOu can also get a printed copy of the screen/map while you are in there.

Hope this helps.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 373225

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:01

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:01
Oh the lat/longs displayed and map shown is WGS84 in decimal degrees format. Using this technique I got this lat/long for the location of the Walkers Crossing Track and the Birdsville Track - -26.87214 139.53730 this will be accurate to arond a few hundred metres. Also the Moomba Intersection with the Walkers Track is -27.90699 140.22967.

I am showing this function so that other may also learn that this can be done using the online mapping interface. You do not need to download or have credits - visitors get 5 free map views using the Dynamic system. This can be used on any of our dynamic maps.

Take care.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 373226

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:05

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:05
Hi Col
Nah! have not done Walkers Crossing, Or are you inviting me along???

When you going and is Bill going with you ?

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 117985

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:21

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:21
Harry,

We did Walkers crossing on a spur of the moment thing. We had planned to go to Haddons corner but rain put an end to that. THe only way out of Birdsville was down the track so we set off that way and met a number of people who had come up Walkers.

Anyway, we found our way through without a GPS or any co-ords. It is signposted, admitedly some of the signs are a little hard to find but it is not too bad.

Duncs
AnswerID: 117987

Reply By: Harry - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:08
Thanks David, I'll follow through with your directions, no idea I could do that with the map etc.
Big John, next year is the plan with a twist. 2 trips in 1. Haven't asked Bill, don't think I have to besides I'd never hear the end of it if he didn't tag along. Very reliable guy to have around at any time. Sure your invited if you can stand the pace.
:>)
Talk to you at the next meet.
DUNCs, thanks mate, good stuff to know, just like to have the info with me in case detours are called for, if you gotta go cross country, then you got somewhere to head for.
Charlie Oscar Lima
Alias HARRY
AnswerID: 118116

Sponsored Links