Hi Bonz

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:16
ThreadID: 24278 Views:1625 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We are looking at bringing our own truck over next year to come up to the Outback Challenge and also do the Simpson Desert crossing.
the crossing I would think would be better done before the challenge, as we will be arriving in Melbourne and would be able to do the crossing West to East as from what I hear that is the best way.
Any help or advise will be well recieved
Thanks Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:52

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:52
Hio Ray, I was talking to MuddyDoe and Pesty last night and they were talking about a Simpson/OBC trip next year also so you may have some company if you want. They say w3est to east is easier, but the other way isnt so bad. If I was doing it I would do the Simpson first west to east then down thru Innamincka, Camerons Corner, Tibooburra and into Broken Hill for the Challenge, you'll drive down past Nundooka station just south of Packsaddle that way and that one of the OBC stations, so you'll get some idea of the lay of the land.

Once on Melb, if youre going to do west/east call down by here I am sure there'll be welcome mat out for you and a hearty meal and a bed, either here or a tad south of me at Terang. Stayt in touch closer to the date and we can sort out something.

GWBonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 118015

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:45

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:45
That's about MuddyDoe's ability to spell too "w3est" & "Stayt"

lolololololollollo

Yes stay in touch cause we would love to meet you too.

Safe traveling.

iMusty
FollowupID: 373254

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 17:33

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 17:33
hahahah fat fingers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 373289

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:24

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:24
West to east is reported by all sources to be the easier way (in general) because virtually all of the hoard of dunes are steeper on the eastern side (prevailing wind effect - has always been thus). That said, many travellers go westward and stay happy (though they may be better prepared / experienced than some). If you want to join the VKS737 HF radio network, we have a Zulu designation just for you Kiwis ! But Zulus 1,2, 3 & 4 (Dave, Ron, BJ and Laurie) are already taken !
AnswerID: 118021

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:33

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:33
Afternoon Ray.

This is how it really is.

I travelled the Simpson in May 04 exactly how you propose and worked the OBC with BONZ in 05.

I have had the experience of visiting/meeting BONZ and his family numerous times and after sharing a room at the West Darling Hotel in Broken Hill for 6 nights with this 'gentleman' whilst assisting in setting up the OBC, I can tell you that anyone who spells the Queens English like he does is a touch 'suspect'.

I was a Passage Controller with a group of the competing vehicles this year and accompanied them 24/7 through out the whole of the OBC.

I took a swag of pics along the way which if you are interested in seeing will give you an idea of what its like.

You can contact me on krobbo@optusnet.com.au

Also I definitely want first chop at the hospitality thing so that I can fill you head with more B U L L S H I T than BONZ and his mate JOHN(R). So when you land in Melbourne, Mt Waverley will have to be placed on the top of your Hospitality calls.

Now as for PESTY and MUDDYDOE, I will be seeing that 'crew' in a few weeks and I to will be interested in their Simpson intentions.

And at this stage it is my intention to work the OBC 06 with BONZ which will most probably see us there 4-5 days before 'scrutineering'.

Whatever, contact me on the above email address and I will assist wherever I can.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 118043

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 19:46

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 19:46
hahahah Ray, Ken will no doubt be able to help you out hahahaha as will we all, you'll not be alone in Oz.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 373307

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:07

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:07
Hi Chaps
Thanks for the help so far
Also thanks for the offers
As soon as we get some more info I will contact you all
Simone and I really appreciate the help.
We are a bit snowed under with work this week so I will contact you early next week.
Ray
AnswerID: 118354

Sponsored Links