Jackaroo 3.0l T/D

Submitted: Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 243 Views:2295 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have experience with hard cold starting of the T/D Jackaroo. Mine is a 2000 model with dual batteries and just under 40,000ks on the clock. On a cold morning, or late evening after not turning over for 12 hours, it starts (eventually) after about 30 seconds of cranking with a cloud of grey smoke. Once started it will kick over without fuss for the rest of the day. It has been back to the dealer twice but with no improvement. Anyone else suffering the same fate? Besides this the Jackaroo has been great. It has been to some amazing places and never let me down off the beaten track, just in the garage at home.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Pavey - Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 00:00
Colin
I too have a 2000 TDI Jackaroo (auto) and have been running Castrol GTX Magnatec (synthetic)since the 1st oil change. As a member of the Jackaroo Club, we had a speaker at the club last year from Isuzu, who talked about the cold start problem Jackaroos were having due to the lube in the high tech HUE injection system. The fix is to move to a synthetic oil. The dealers are using a similar oil of slightly different weight that they can buy in bulk and feed into Commodores as well, which comes only in 44 gallon drums - called FMX Magnatec. As a result I take my own oil to services (GTX Magnatec). The cost is about $26/5 litres or about $40 per service. Holden charges you $35 for the lower spec goo, so an additional $5 for allegedly better protection is peace of mind for me. The standard oil takes about 4 changes to fully flush out, so its a progressive effort.
You cant miss it at K-Mart or auto shops as it comes in a iridescent green bottle.
Hope this information helps. If youd like some information on the club send me an email to mike.pavey@net21.com.au

Regards
Mike Pavey
AnswerID: 521

Follow Up By: Colin Hunt - Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 00:00
Mike,

Thanks for the info. Holden claimed to have put Castrol 5W40 synthetic into my car last week. They charged me $65 for the it as well. I have recently joined the Jackaroo club and spoken to Jim Taylor who was having a different set of problems with his 2000 model.
FollowupID: 133

Reply By: Colin Hunt - Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00
After another week leaving the car at the Holden dealer, a new set of Injectors has been put in. So, to other 2000 T/D Jackaroo owners, if you experieince starting problems dont let the dealer muck you around with it, demand that they have a look at the injectors ASAP. It appears that there was a problem with the quality of the O rings used in the injectors in early build engines. My engine was built in September 1999. Check your engine build date and get Holden to fix it if you experience these sort of problems.
AnswerID: 564

Reply By: Ron H - Monday, Jul 02, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 02, 2001 at 00:00
I had a similar problem not so much starting but very sluggish when really cold - like it had no power
Temp aound -2 and frosty. Local dealer fixed problem with oil change to lower viscosity 5-40 oil which they say Isuzu have now changed spec to.
Ive only had the one change of oil so far and I understand that it will take a couple more before we have the thinner oil comlete. I've had no trouble since and it was -3 degrees last week
Ring Kevin Florence Service Manager at Parker Bros in Shepparton 0358222666 for more detailed ex[planation. Cheers
AnswerID: 713

Follow Up By: Colin - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2001 at 00:00
Ron, My problem was a combination of the oil viscocity and the injector seals. The dealer changed the oil twice in a week and flushed most of the old mineral based oil out (no charge). Apparently Isuzu recognised the problem with the life of the injector seals and changed grade of seals on all engines prior to delivery since late 99. Unfortunately mine appeared to miss out (build date 9/99). Again these have now been replaced free of charge. It doesn't get as cold here in Sydney, but I have had a couple of 0 & 1 degree mornings since the fix and no problems starting or any sign of sluggish performance.
FollowupID: 205

Sponsored Links