birdsville

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 19:50
ThreadID: 24301 Views:1738 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, after reading the road conditions report ( thanks for your hard work David ), what are the people like me coming from the Sydney area going to get around the road closures if they stay in place, to get to Birdsvile.
Was going by Wannaaring but it looks as though that could be blocked off as will any way coming from the south to the Corner.
My father was going to meet me at Cameron corner coming from Thargominda, but that looks dicey as well.
What about going to SA and coming up the Strez.?
Any body have any thoughts?
Leaving on the 2nd July from just south of Sydney on our first big ( for us anyway ) solo trip to Cameron Corner , Haddon Corner and Birdsville.
Cheers,
Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: See You NT - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:15
What are the dates for closure around this area? I will be doing the Simson in September (if all goes well)
AnswerID: 118118

Reply By: Willb - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:21
Check this out.

http://www.exploroz.com/roads/default.asp

Will

AnswerID: 118120

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 22:11
Willb, what are you worried about on the Strzlecki? I expect a lot more roads will be open before then. I expect to be coming up from Yunta (South Australia) onto the track about the 3rd or 4th. Every day where there is some sun and wind will dry the surface.
AnswerID: 118149

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:20

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:20
If east of the Cam. Corner was wet, how about a run to Broken Hill, down to Yunta, over to Arkaroola, up the Moolawatana track, to Mt Hopeless on the Strzelecki and on up to Birdsville ? From a Sydney start, that is out of the way, but not badly - maybe ?
AnswerID: 118203

Reply By: Willb - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:12

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:12
Thanks for the replies, I had thought about going to B/H and down to S/A, and up the Strez.
If the Corner country is wet will that water find its way to SA eventually and then cause problems there?
Another idea I had was to go through Cunnamulla, Quilpie to Birdsville and then see what the roads were like to come back through the corner.
I am sure a lot of other people would be in a similar situation as me.
One way or another I am going somewhere, to much planning and expense has gone into the next two weeks to not do something.
Will

AnswerID: 118229

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:45

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:45
Hello Wilb - Yes, 6am Saturday morning from Nowra heading for Trilby Station then Bollards Lagoon. Don't think we will make it!!!!! They close all the roads (in NSW) to stop them from being dug up. Trilby will ring us on Saturday to let us know if the roads will be open.
Looks as if we could head down through Broken Hill then up into the Flinders. Changing plans is half the fun. Trilby has not had decent rain for five years. Regards, Trev
FollowupID: 373420

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:24

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:24
Will,

What Banjo has suggested is quite logical.

The rain is coming from the west and will clear from that side. The Strezlecki track is likely to open sooner than the Wanaaring Rd anyway. It is higher and better built. Also the road from Yunta to Arkaroola is pretty good and dries reasonably quickly. If you got to Yunta and the Arkaroola Rd was closed you could still go down to Peterborough and then north on sealed roads as far as Lyndhurst then you have the Strezlecki to take you to Innamincka. All that would not take much longer than what you had planned.

As for your Dad going to Thargo, his best bet would be to drop down to Bourke and on to Cobar. He could meet you there or in Broken Hill and travel with you from then on. I know it's a long way round, but like you said how else do you get there?

In the time you are away the place will probably dry out a bit and you may be able to pick up some of the places you missed earlier on the way home.

I am reminded of a comment from an experienced traveller who saw me packing the Patrol for a trip out into the bush. "Where do you think you are going this time?" he asked. When I told him he simply said "Ïf it doesn't rain".

When it rains you have to rethink, 'cause you can't stop it raining.

Hope it works out.
Duncs
AnswerID: 118231

Sponsored Links