Weaco overnite temp.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:09
ThreadID: 24315 Views:2232 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got an thoughts on what sort of temp. a new CF40 will hold overnite. Can leave it on and will eventually run the spare battery down and turn off, which dosn't worry me, isolated from the cranking battery and will charge up next day.
Dont want to run it on freeze in case things thaw a bit so running on fridge only.
Ambient temp will be cold 0 to 10 degrees overnite in the Kimberleys.
Out of here on Sunday for 3 months in the NT,WA, and the Flinders Rangers,
with the new Trakmaster van ,lifes tough but we just have live with these things.
Mike B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:39

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:39
Mike

Depending upon the size of your aux batt I don't expect you'll have a prob.
We took a new 60l job up the Cape last year, warmer temps and ran non-stop as freezer for 6 weeks.

Transferred back to freezer on our return, some frozen tucker we started off with but didn't eat.

Cheers and bon voyage .. lucky bludger ... :o)
AnswerID: 118223

Reply By: derraux - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:41

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:41
Mike
In those sort of temp the waeco should only use an average of about 1 amp per hour, so theoretically should not flatten a second battery overnight, there is alot of veriables to change this this is just a rough calc. If turned off over night the beer might get a little warmer as i believe 0 to 2 deg is the best drinking temp of beer but dont beleive you woud have to much trouble doing this either.
Derraux
AnswerID: 118225

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:08

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:08
0-2 to VB, Tiger Beer and anything else that tastes like cats wee. Personally, with a finer beer so as no to mask the true flavour with too colder temperature, I prefer 3-5 degrees. I also don't like beer slurry, so 0 for me is too low.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 373465

Reply By: gramps - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:51

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:51
Michael B,

Used the same fridge thru Simpson, Alice and back thru Boulia Winton etc in first half of May. Had it set on three (3) lights all the way. Froze water bottles at bottom of fridge but beer/coke middle and top were fine. We had one of those fridge covers on it. No problems with battery whatsoever with fridge on 24/7 for three weeks or so.

Tested it out at home on both 240 and 12 (via old UPS battery I had in shed and in the truck before we left).

Just make sure the lid seals properly when you close it each time. Easy at night with the internal light.

Have a great time you lucky buggers.
AnswerID: 118226

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:07

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:07
If we are closing our car up overnight I pull the Waeco Cooler we use out and put it on the ground so it's circulating cold air with the fans. If you leave it in the car with it all closed up it will heat the car up causing it to run more often. If it's outside and the ambiant temp is lower than what the thermostat is set to the fridge should not run at all!

Hope that makes sense...
AnswerID: 118237

Follow Up By: Member - Michael B (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 20:00

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 20:00
Jeff,
Good idea, never really thought about taking it out of the Cruiser,
but makes a lot of sense.
Mike B
FollowupID: 373477

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 17:58

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 17:58
chain it to something that is really hard to move, cause those things learn to walk away in the dark of the nite and they can go for miles before you are awake, an they are hard to track down 'cause they don't leave any tyre or drag marks!
FollowupID: 373612

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 18:02

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 18:02
Mainey if you can find me where I like to camp you can have it! LOL

Yeah obviously the area you are staying will depend on how viable that option is, but if you in the ass end of the kimbleys you'll probally be ok.
FollowupID: 373615

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 22:26

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 22:26
Jeff,
It is not me who will run off with a Waeco..... believe me!

unless waeco stands for; Woman At Each Convenient Oportunity..

Hey, good woman is scarce in Kimberleys, like good Diamonds :-)
FollowupID: 373660

Reply By: gramps - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:30

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:30
Michael B,

Get one of those inside/outside temperature monitors (around $20 or less) with a remote probe from Jaycar, Dick Smith or wherever and test it out before you go. Worked fine for us but I did'nt record the temps for posterity, sorry.

I'll do a test tonight and post it for you. Won't be as exhaustive as some of the testing I've seen posted on this forum (you might like to search the archives as there are quite a few forumites with this fridge who have posted results).
AnswerID: 118244

Reply By: gramps - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:33

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:33
Michael B,

So much for the testing. A surprise raid by the rellies last night buggered the test and made a substantial hole in my supply of life sustaining fluids.

Anyway, I usually work on the theory that each light (bar) on the fridge is roughly equivalent to 6 to 7 degrees C difference to ambient temperatures. I think its in the manual somewhere. Given your expected overnight temperature range, 1 bar should be sufficient. You can pump it up for daytime temps.

I'd be a bit reticent about turning it off completely overnight if you have food in it. Not a big fan of spoilt food or food poisoning. Anything you definitely don't want frozen should be stored closer to the top of the unit or on the shelf next to the light.

Preferably don't refill the contents as you go. Leave it till late evening when abient temps are low.

Our unit was strapped to the 'deathseat' in a Hilux Extracab and turned on for over three weeks. The vehicle was only closed up when in more populous camping areas etc with no discernible heat build up whatsoever. I used some styrene blocks between the unit and the back of the seat to ensure some airflow around it.

As suggested above, you could take it out overnight but I was there to enjoy myself and not spend time manhandling the fridge and its contents. It is an option for extended stays in one spot though.

Sorry I could'nt be of more help. Have a great time.
AnswerID: 118370

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:51

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:51
Should have no problem at all running it overnight in a Kimberley winter if you are away from the coast (where it's typically 13-16 degrees). It is not like to use more than 10-12 Ah. Any well charged battery over 50 or 60 Ah will do this with ease.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 119058

Sponsored Links