do safari snorkels let rain in

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:27
ThreadID: 24328 Views:2970 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
gidy'all
when i fitted a safari to my nissan navara 3.0lt the cyclone pre cleaner had to go,this was fitted with a with a rubber frog mouth to pinch and let the collected dust out.most air cleaner houseings i've seen have em' also,the navara's houseing does'nt,my thoughts were if rain did get in it had no where to go.the houseing had a protrusion blanked off where i could see a frog mouth used to live,so i drilled it out and fitted one.then i went one better i fitted a cap with a clear rubber tube on it,about 100mm. long, sealed at the other end with a rubber bung out of my tinnie,so unit is sealed for water crossings,travelled home this arvo'thru about 1/2 hour of heavy rain do'in 80 to 100k's p/h,checked the clear tube it had about 30ml's of water in it,pulled the bung out and drained it,so in future when it rains i'll leave the bung out. hope this helps other navara owners or any one else with safari snorkels fitted,phew' thats the longest one fingered post i've ever done,need a beer see ya'.
regards toohey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:57

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:57
How bizzare, safari reckon they don't let any water in from rain. I always doubted those statements and thought that what happened to you must be how they are, however when I had mine fitted I did some cruising on the highway in heavy rain for hours on the way back from Kalgoorlie. When I got home I opened the air box expecting to support my theory and find water in there but it was as dry as a bone...
AnswerID: 118289

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:10

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:10
gid'ay jeff
don't know mate,if it has a frog mouth fitted it would let the water out,maybe?
regards toohey.
FollowupID: 373467

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:17

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:17
Excuse my Naivety!! I'm not sure what a frog mouth it, but I do know that the air box is sealed, there was a drain plug on the bottom but I siliconed that up.
FollowupID: 373468

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 20:02

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 20:02
gid'ay jeff
a frog mouth is a rubber bit shaped like afrogs mouth,under acceleration it closes almost,leaving two tiny holes at either side these should let the water out but would not be an effective seal in deep water crossing's,hope this makes sense as i'm still hav'in a beer.cheers toohey.
FollowupID: 373480

Reply By: Vinnie - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 21:17

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 21:17
Try washing the truck and while flickin` the hose over it see just how much water does ingress.

My Mav has a pre-cleaner and like the colgate ad says "It does get in"

Same after travelling in rain - I have to wipe out the pre-cleaner

Vinnie
AnswerID: 118311

Reply By: Haza - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 21:48

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 21:48
So I guess the frog mouth does leak(No experience), I hadn't heard of using a rubber bung. How much water does get in V's how long it submerged.
AnswerID: 118316

Reply By: vitara - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:04

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:04
Hi Everyone, I have just fitted a safari snorkel to my hilux about 3 weeks ago, I was told by TJM to seal every thing up including taking the flexi hose from the air canister across to the inlet manifold. I've done that using a blue silicone (hope its the right stuff that's what they told me to use) but was also concerned about water getting in but not been able to get out, so I rang safari themselves to find out, he said to me if you are doing alot of water crossings seal it up if just for dusty roads don't block it up, (drain valve i'm talking about) he said to me you need to determine what sort of driving your going to be doing most of. So I have unblocked my'n so water can drain out, he said if you got water down the snorkel during normal rain not by sticking a hose down it, it wouldn't be enough for the water to be injested and do any damage, ok so if you have it blocked where does the water then go? it will getted pulled into the air filter then the passing air will dry it out WHAT SORT OF AN ANSWER IS THAT So I'm still none the wiser, and at the moment still have it unblocked at the bottom of the air canister which is located on the removeable lid of the cannister. Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 118353

Follow Up By: Neville M (VIC - Melb) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:36

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:36
Vitara.

What the Guy said does make sence, that small amount of water pulled on to the air filter would dry out with the air passing over it.

Wet a small piece of a hankey and direct air on to it, it dry's out.

If you were in a hugh tropical storm, keep the bung out.

Neville

FollowupID: 373538

Follow Up By: vitara - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:08

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:08
Thanks Neville M will keep that in mind,just a quic question if I dont seal up the outlet just a little rubber flap (not a frog mouth) meant to do the same thing, If I was doing a water crossing how long could I stay under for before It sucked water in or am I better to do like (Sorry can't remember his user name) and fit a cap on a lenth of hose so that way it is permantly sealed and I can keep an eye on any water entrapment in the tube ? That way at least I know that it is sealed if I do dunk it. Any further suggestions would be appreciated Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 373540

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:17

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:17
I have a factory fitted snorkel on my GU after driving in 4 days of rain in Brisbane I am worried now after reading the post. I will check mine when I get home and see if its dry
AnswerID: 118368

Follow Up By: vitara - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:16

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:16
Hi Troll, have been told by TJM that they have had trouble with water intake on the factory fitted snorkels on the patrols because they dont use any sealent on any of the joints they just clamp it all together. He said this has been happening since nissan have been fitting there own snorkels and has caused a few engine's to blow because they let water in. Don't know how true this is or it was just a sales pitch or not but might be worth checking out before you do any damage. Maybe some one might have come across this before? Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 373545

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:21

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:21
I had some water over the bonnet couple weeks ago over at Straddie and it was fine and dry then..so I wonder if the guy that had the truck before me sealed it all up. I will check today though if it's wet or not
FollowupID: 373548

Follow Up By: vitara - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:55

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:55
No probs.wouldn't like to see you blow her up, she looks like a top unit. if only I could get my wife to have one reckons there a tank compared to our hilux, ONE DAY, she tells me to keep dreaming, oh well Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 373557

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:25

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:25
Hi guys I have an airtec snorkle fitted by tjm and it fits straight onto the cyclone pre cleaner. Just suprises me that safari dont

regards

ross
AnswerID: 118397

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:03

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:03
gid'ay ross
check the pressed metal joints on your cyclone pre-cleaner after fitting the safari i checked mine,was'nt real good mate.the joints had very definite problems where water could be sucked in.
regards toohey.
FollowupID: 373633

Sponsored Links