Wiring up spotlights

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:11
ThreadID: 24339 Views:13207 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just wired up new lightforce lights to a 2005 model hilux, all works ok, but the problem is that the high beam pickup terminal has power all the time and as sone as you lower the high beam the spoties stay on, and when you try the car lights on the spoties stay on.

Anyone know how to wire these up so they will only go on with the high beam???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:32

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:32
Did you use a relay?

Battery power to a relay to the spoties and the relay switched on by high beam.
AnswerID: 118324

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:38

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:38
Agree with Grungle.

Also you should have a separate switch to isolate the Spots as well.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 118326

Reply By: CMB - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:42

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:42
Hound,

You will need to control your relay with a circuit created by taking a jumper wire off the permanant power supply to the lights (off the back of the light) up to your dash on/off switch then back to the relay switching circuit. The other side of this switching circuit on the relay has to go back to the high beam wire on the back of the lights. The spots are hooked up as per normal and as you probably have done so now.

I bet you have found the high beam wire off the lights and run this to the relay and simply earthed the other side of the switching circuit. When you switch to low beam, there will still be about 1.7 volts in the wire you used and this will be enough to keep the switch closed (sometimes it wont and it will seem that your system works).

It's a pain but this is how all new cars seem to be wired up now.

If you need, drop me a line and I'll draw you a circuit. It may sound hard.

Chris.
AnswerID: 118328

Follow Up By: hound - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:47
Chris,

Thats for the info, it seems you know all about the problem. I have used a Piranha wiring loom and its all wired as per the diagram.

I will see how I go but I may need to get that diagram off you, thanks for the help.
FollowupID: 373499

Follow Up By: hound - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:51

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 22:51
Chris,

Will it work if I take the other side of the switching circuit and earth it at the head light terminal instead of the car body as I have done??
FollowupID: 373500

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 15:22

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 15:22
You could also just switch the earth thru the relay if thats what the issue is. Had to do that ages ago on some Pommy built thing. Worked fine though
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 373596

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 23:07

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 23:07
I should add that some circuits are positively or negatively switched. Just need to find what your system is and adapted a relay circuit to suit. There is always a control function that can be incorporated.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 118332

Reply By: drivesafe - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 00:11

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 00:11
Hi hound, I posted this yesterday for a similar question. It is also like the posting above but if you follow the link at the end, it will take you to a diagram.

By the way, what did you get in the loom kit and how much did it cost.

If you are not sure about the polarity of the headlights on any vehicle, there is a safe and simple way around the problem.

Simply workout which wire at the back of one of the headlights is a constant voltage ( the voltage, either positive or negative, does not change ) when the headlights are turned on and off on both low and high beam and connect this wire to terminal 85 on the driving light relay.

Next, workout which wire changes to the opposite polarity of the above wire, only when the high beam is turned on and connect this wire to terminal 86 on the driving light relay.

You won’t need to get the polarity correct as it will be the same as is needed to turn the high beam on and off plus the relay will be protected by the high beam’s fuse.

Driving Light Diagram

Cheers
AnswerID: 118340

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:26

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:26
I had the same problem with the surf. (I imagine the wiring is the same or similar). I ended up actually putting a tap into the positive wire right behind the globe for the high beam and hooking that up to the spottie switch and relay. Works fine now.
AnswerID: 118389

Reply By: hound - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:28

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:28
Contacted Piranha, who made the wiring loom and they gave me the simple and quick fix. All I need to do is reverse the high beam pickup wire and the earth and it will work fine.

These wires come off the relay to join up with the high beam pickup on the back of the lights and the other wire is a earth, now the earth will go to the high beam pickup and the other (the normal high beam pickup wire) will be the earth.

The price for the loom was $60.
AnswerID: 118398

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 16:34

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 16:34
Thanks hound, for that info on the price.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 373603

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 21:21

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 21:21
Great you got is sorted out Hound.
What are the lights mounted on?? I have an 05 'Lux, but no bullbar yet. Don't like the Toyota one due to looks and approach angle (sorry about that if you have one). TJM has one available, but I was told today that they have issued a safety recall on them. Havn't seen it, so have no opinion. ARB don't have one available yet. Every time I ask, it is about a month away. I would normally get the ARB (have at least seen pics) but I'm getting a bit frustrated with the delay.

So, if you have a bullbar, which one is it. If the Toyota, what do you think about the approach angle? From my quick look, it didn't seem to be much better than the original plastic bumper.
FollowupID: 373858

Reply By: garthyguts - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 13:56

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 13:56
run wire from behind head light and check some times you can only take off from one side only
AnswerID: 118410

Reply By: CMB - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 09:45

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 09:45
Hound,

How did you go?

There has been some ideas given so I hope you got it sorted. The solution I offered negated the need to determine if your loom is negative or posative switching as you just piggyback (wire in parallel) off the existing system.
If you are neat enough, one length of twin flex wire can be used to run from the headlight wiring to your in cab switch with one of the twin flex wires being cut into to bridge across your spotlight relay switch circuit. A fuse on this wire is not necessary as it is protected by the 10A headlight fuse.
I looked at the wire diagram offered in the Landrover (I think) link. I noted with interest the use of a 3 way spotlight switch where one of the positions activates the spots regardless of the status of the high beam circuit. I'd suggest that the Dept of Tport (Qld) or police would not take too kindly to this option as you could accidentially drive with your spots on when perhaps you should not.

Regs,

Chris.
AnswerID: 118611

Reply By: drivesafe - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 14:12

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 14:12
Hi CMB, the rules require that the driving lights have a switch fitted to them to allow the driving lights to switched off while the high beam is on.
No reason is given for the requirement and there is nothing to stop you using the 3 way switch as described.

Next, many new vehicles do not allow the headlights ( low or high beam ) to be turned on while the ignition is off. Again by fitting a 3 way switch, you can have lights without turning on the ignition.

Last but not least, ALL states have the same rules governing the use of High beam, Driving lights and Fog lights and they all have similar fines for improper use.

Now, with the exception of NSW, when was the last time you heard of anyone getting booked for improper use of Fog lights.

Most police have no idea what the rules are about the use of these lights.

NSW is the exception because they have periodical blitzes on the improper use of Fog lights and wish the rest of the states would too.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 118631

Follow Up By: CMB - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 21:08

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 21:08
drivesafe,

Below is an extract from the Qld Dept of Tport rules and regs. This is only valid for Qld and confirms what I have stated from the beginning.

START
Lighting systems
All additional lighting systems are to be fitted strictly in
accordance with Queensland legislation. Some additional
requirements are explained below.
Additional pairs of headlights, showing a beam of white
light only, may be fitted and must not affect the driver’s
view. The headlights must be mounted symmetrically.
Additional high beam headlights must extinguish
automatically when low beam is selected.
A pair of fog lights, showing a beam of white or yellow
light, may be fitted to the front of a motor vehicle with
the centres no higher than the top of the dipped beam
headlight. The lights must be mounted symmetrically not
less than 600mm apart.
Fog lights must be capable of being switched on and off
independently of any headlights but must only be able
to be switched on when the parking lights are on. Fog
lights must not be used except in fog or mist or under
other atmospheric conditions which restrict visibility.
Blue lights are not allowed on any vehicles except
emergency vehicles (for example police, fire and rescue,
and ambulance). Red lights and reflectors must face to
the rear. White lights and reflectors must face forward.
Yellow lights are not permitted except for clearance
lights on goods vehicles and buses, and indicators and
fog lights on all vehicles.
With the exception of indicators, flashing lights are not
permitted on any vehicle, except special vehicles for use
in hazardous situations (for example tow trucks) and
emergency vehicles (for example police).

END

I'll reprint a little of the above for you.

"Additional high beam headlights must extinguish
automatically when low beam is selected."

I know an insurance company will void your insurance if an accident is caused by the inadvertant activation of the spot lights by you, a family member or friend as you have illegally modified your vehicle. The police may not know of the rules on the side of the road but your insurance company will when you have your hand out for their "hard earned coin".

This was my only argument.

Regs,

Chris.
FollowupID: 373845

Reply By: hound - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 08:48

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 08:48
Didm't have time to rewire on the weekend, away in the bush. Will rewire the lights tonight and if what Paranha told me is try will take 2 minutes. Norm C - I have a ARB deluxe winch bar which i pre-ordered months ago so I could get it sooner. You want beleive the difference the bar makes to the look of the car, everyone thats seen it after the bar went on thinks it looks great.
AnswerID: 118725

Sponsored Links