Suspension on 100S TD

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2434 Views:1637 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Was reading 4wd monthly - the awards edition - and I was surprised that they had blackbanned the 100 series turbo diesel because of the"independent front end and inflated price." Page 36.

I then read on to page 41 where they have a wheel travel ramp test and surprise, surprise the independent front end Prado rates better than the Patrol for wheel travel. 606 against 569 for the front.

Does anyone have any similar figures for the IRS suspension against the rigid axle on the 100s. I agree that the price could be a bit more competitive, but I reckon that my TD was worth the extra. The only other thing that gets up my nose is that the servicing costs are also on the high side. $900 for the routine 20k service.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Andrew,
As far as I am concerned that 4WDOTY/4wd Monthly was a joke. To exclude the 100S TD and the Patrol 3.0TD for the reasons given were ludicrous. Also, they have to divide the competitors into classes of vehicle. The Patrol and the Pajero/Prado should be in different classes.
Your exactly right about what you say about the travel ramp test!!! Maybe the reason they excluded them was they couldnt get a test vehicle at the time they wanted them, if that is the case say so!! Phil
AnswerID: 8856

Reply By: Phil - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Andrew,
As far as I am concerned that 4WDOTY/4wd Monthly was a joke. To exclude the 100S TD and the Patrol 3.0TD for the reasons given were ludicrous. Also, they have to divide the competitors into classes of vehicle. The Patrol and the Pajero/Prado should be in different classes.
Your exactly right about what you say about the travel ramp test!!! Maybe the reason they excluded them was they couldnt get a test vehicle at the time they wanted them, if that is the case say so!! Phil
AnswerID: 8857

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

I think we all know the 4wdoty has been a joke in all magazines for ages. Just a way to say thanks to their sponsors.

You can tell who sponsors who!
EG Australian Toyota monthly magazine. They dont even have stories on modified other brands 1/50th as often as yota.

But Overlander went overboard when naming probably the worst thing you could take offroad as 4wdoty... the BMW.. Id like to see you take it overland!

Cant wait for my subscriptions to run out, I'll just read em in the newsagents I think.
AnswerID: 8860

Reply By: Derek - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Andrew. I agree with Truckster. The 4wdoty award is a hypocritical joke, awarded to not the best car, but the most expensive. This has been going on for years and is the main reason I do not read their mag' They appear to cater to the doctor and lawyer set rather than the every day 4 wheel driver. Why don't you voice your concerns to the editors and post your findings on this forum. I'm sure it would make good reading. Derek.
AnswerID: 8959

Sponsored Links