edic by pass cable

Submitted: Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:39
ThreadID: 24361 Views:5290 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
i just wondered if anyone new of some one who stocked an after market edic bypass cable for a 2h diesel as i cant seem to source the problem with throwing the arm forwards and momentarily shutting off the fuel supply .thanks all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:46

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:46
Carson==Have you tried adjusting the rod????
AnswerID: 118467

Follow Up By: carson - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:56

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:56
no i havent bill it seems to be in the right position as it is ,i dont know wether it would do any good as ot throws the arm right forward
FollowupID: 373640

Reply By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:25

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:25
had to do adjustments many times in the past but dont remember if I made it longer or shorter,but suggest you have a fiddle. But be sure that you mark or measure the original position so after adjusting and no result you can at least put it back in position.Adjusting puts the motor in a slightly different segment. good luck
AnswerID: 118471

Follow Up By: carson - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 21:31

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 21:31
Thanks bill i did try altering the arm i made it shorter it really didnt make a difference it was still throwing forward it wasnt cutting th engine but neither could i turn it off ar the ignition .Thanks Bill
FollowupID: 373656

Reply By: Peter 2 - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 21:07

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 21:07
Before you get too carried away with the EDIC check the ignition switch. when they wear they can make a poor connection which goes open cct causing the EDIC to turn the engine off. also check the wiring and any connectors for poor connections. A crook engine fuse or circuit breaker will also cause probs.
Another problem could be the oil pressure switch, the 2H and 12HT have a second oil pressure switch which will cut the motor if there is no oil pressure as these engines will run backwards just as well as forwards. That is why 2H engines die when starting afetr an oil and filter change, no oil pressure until the filter is full.
AnswerID: 118483

Follow Up By: carson - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 21:41

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 21:41
Never thought of that one peter to be honest .What i have noticed is when the ignition is switched on the edic arm is supposed to go back to the 78 degree mark presumablyy for starting purposes ,the edic is failling to do this so there could be a chance it isnt getting power ,but is somehow getting it once the engine is started but once the lights and heater are on the edic arm throws forward and shuts the fuel .I took the lead of the oil swich and grounded it and the arm shut the fuel off which is as should be .all the circuit breakers have been checked and engine fuse looks sweet .I think peter the ignition switch will be my next check .Thanks peter
FollowupID: 373657

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 10:02

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 10:02
If the ig switch checks out I'd try and borrow one just to be sure, weird things can happen with vehicles.
Then I'd go after the connections and wiring.
Also check the earth straps between engine and chassis and chassis and body.
Keep us in the loop as you go, much better to have people looking over your shoulder as it is easy to go in circles when fault finding.
Peter
FollowupID: 373685

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 18:33

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 18:33
hit it all with crc where the edic arm ataches to the fuel pump I had a problem that was fixed like that
FollowupID: 373721

Reply By: carson - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 13:13

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 13:13
Hi all,thanks for all youe advice i have now sorted the edic problem out ,i feel a right fool but still the issue has been resolved after much wire testing ,it actually did turn out to be a bad earth .The earth from the body to the engine block was a bit dodgy ,it seemed to be having good continuity in it even right up to the lug on the body end and my multimeter was buzzing quiet merrily ,so obviously thought it was ok but when i actually put the tester onto the bolt itself the multimeter showed a bad earth ,so i cleaned it and everything is now sweet .The sense of relief from the missus was palpable ,after all the idea of a possible new alternator or edic motor was enough to send the bank balance into overload ,so shes pleased and im even more pleased and as i ve said already thankyou to you kind gents for giving me some very valid pointers. carson
AnswerID: 118539

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 16:08

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 16:08
dont waste your time and money getting a bybass switch is stalled all they do is operate the edic motor round and round, To actually get it to stop fully forwards and shut the motor off is time consuming and a p@#$ off also you can unknowingly leave them in the over fuel position ( I used how much fuel?????) take it from someone that has been down this path................... dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 118554

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 20:14

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 20:14
Carson
great to hear you fixed it, it's weird the problems that can happen as the vehicles get older and things deteriorate.
you will probably find that the batteries will charge better now as there would have been a voltage drop across the crook earth.
AnswerID: 118578

Follow Up By: carson - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:34

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:34
thanks peter electrical problems are always a nightmare ,but invariable its always something ridiculous thats wrong
FollowupID: 373738

Sponsored Links