Cape York - WWII Wrecks

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:41
ThreadID: 24385 Views:3505 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,

Just doing some research for a potential trip to the Cape - does anyone have a list of WWII wrecks - hopefully already in an Ozi importable file (asking for the gravy as well now ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterK - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:59

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:59
Ivan

I made a bit of a blog entry here about one of the wrecks near bamaga.
blog entry
I got some of the info from
www.pacificwrecks.com

Pete

AnswerID: 118615

Reply By: The Hob - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 12:07

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 12:07
Wrecks at Bamaga.

There is the DC3 which is on the right on the way to Bamaga airstrip from Bamaga just past the turnoff south to Cooktown.

You need to take a track which goes around the Bamaga end of the airstrip and then heads generally parallel to the strip to find the remains of a fighter? (not much there at all) and then a bit further on you will find the Bristol Bomber talked about above.

Unfortunately I don't have lat and long for them but they were fairly easy to find once you are in the right area.

Alan
AnswerID: 118621

Reply By: Bros - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:01

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:01
Ivan,
On the south side of the present Bamaga airfield and if you look keenly to your right while driving away from the Bamaga direction you can see the "hangers" they made out of the surrounding country to house the planes. They are u-shaped cut banks that the planes used to be wheeled into under the trees and covered with comouflage nets. This was how it was explained to me and i actually saw them.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 118980

Sponsored Links