Which Tyres and what size?????

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 14:42
ThreadID: 24421 Views:1896 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I have just bought my first 4x4 (a 91 DC Hilux) and the tyres will need replacing soon so I was wondering...........

Currently it has SR5 rims on it which are 16x 5.5 and the tyres are 205.

What would be the biggest tyres which could be fitted to these rims?

Would it be a better idea to change and get some 15x7 sunnies which would allow some bigger tyres?

I am after some tyres which are going to be good comprimise for on and off road performance, was thinking something similar to Cooper ST?

And finally what sort of price would I be looking at for these tyres.

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Zam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: babs - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:44

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:44
G'day Zam045, I dont know about sunrasiers if its an SR5 might spoil it a bit, a nice set of chromies always looks good on hiluxs...Go 16x7 fims and 265/75/16 tyres should be close to a 32" equivelent, good luck...

Babs
AnswerID: 118812

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:55
Hi zam045, I have sr5 d/cab 90 model I have put 15 suns on it but changed to 15 inch with 31s (tyres) on it (standards were 16s). I have put bf goodrich all terrain on it Can't complain so far fairly good in the wet No major tyre noise at all even at 100klm. My mate had cooper st on his narvara got good klm out of them bout 80 000klm I think Good off road but he reckons they were deadly in the wet. He went back to the supplier to find out why they were so slippery in the wet. Bloke just told him can,t have it both ways. Thats the reason they last so long because of the rubber compound been so hard but not.soft enough to grip the road in the wet. That was my reson for buying the BFs. But there are plenty of people on this forum that I have read that run the coopers and seem to be happy with them so might be a matter of choice and $$$. I was told not to run mudds on my around town unless you are going to be in the mud alot they wear the nobs out very quikly specialy where I live have to go through a sh@t load of bends to get to my house. Thats what the supplier told me can only go by what you read and hear I'm not a tyre sales person. Any way goodluck in you choice Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 118927

Follow Up By: vitara - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:17

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:17
Sorry another addon, if you happen to go for the BFs make sure ther the american ones, they did have a batch that were made in malaysha/korea, they tried cost cutting and gave them a bad name for a while people were only getting round 30 thou out of a set plus heaps of side wall damage, have gone back to usa for supplies ok now !!!
FollowupID: 374080

Sponsored Links