Israelite Bay to Balladonia ?

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2443 Views:6112 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled up from the coast to Balladonia recently and if so what was it like? Is it suitable for a camper trailer (offroad) and only one vehicle or should it be done in company with another? The intended trip is late January.Also, what is it like out to Israelite Bay from Esperance?I have read the trek notes but eould like some updated information.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Contact the local council office in Esperance. They have always been very helpful with good information. My cousin phoned them only twelve months ago, and they gave him all the information he needed and posted him some brochures.
Is four/nearly five years since I was there. Looking forward to getting back.
AnswerID: 8873

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
Here is the phone number:
CALM Esperance 08 9071 3733
FollowupID: 4405

Reply By: Janset - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Ray.

I did that run about 3 years ago with my 4WD club. In all there were about 8 vehicles. We travelled along the beach over the 1 1/2 to 2 metre deep sea weed from Duke of New Orleans Caravan park though to Baxter cliffs, then double backed for a while up the escarpment and on to Belladonia.

Refuelled then back past Mount Raggard (I think that was it's name) to the Duke again.

In our convoy originally there were 3 campers, Jayco off roaders. These were all left at the Duke and they tented the rest of the way.

Your question. If you intend to do the leg we did, definitely no camper.

The return trip from Balladonia South past Mount Raggard, no problems as the roads were mainly well graded gravel tracks.

Sorry I can't give you more as it was a long time ago. I do however suggest that you travel with another vehicle unless you have exact information of the route you intend to take.

Didn't help much did I :(

Regards
AnswerID: 8876

Reply By: ROX - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Ray, Have been out to cape Arid in March & Israelite Bay in march 2001.Havent yet been out to Balidonia via track but I believe its posible if you reed the road conditions. Ps the crayfisherman with a full load of crays can do the trip from Israelite Bay to Esperance in 3 hours, we took longer. This road can fill with water after heavy rain as did 3 years ago (march 2000) and in 1994/95 (cyclone Boby). These roads are very well traveled so if you tell people where &when your going and take spares you should be fine. Even if you break down stay with your car and wait if you have let people know you trip/time table. Have fun I wish I was going as well. I would take your camper because its a road/track not sand dunes like the Simpsom. We are planing a trip Easter/Anzac, 2 choises Perth 2 Eucla,Eyre Bird observaty, Balladonia track Isrelite. Or Exmouth Yardy creek, coral bay. Not sure yet ROX
AnswerID: 8880

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Rox,
Definitley give Coral Bay-Exmouth a go. We were there about 6 weeks ago. Fantastic area,but we only went to the 9mile from Coral Bay and then out and up the main road to Exmouth. Check out the National Parks camping areas as they are briliant.Turquoise Bay is a must see.
Ray
FollowupID: 4399

Reply By: Brett - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Ray,
Taking a trailor in from esperance isn't to much of a problem as the track is in fare condition with only the odd soft part. But if you plan to drive along the coast to point Culver and out to Balladonia that way you might have a few problems getting up the escarpment as there is one long soft dune to get up.
Israelite bay itself is hard down on the water line at low tide but for nearly 50km there is nowhere to get off the beach and if the tide starts to come in your in trouble as it will go right up to the dunes.
January tends to blow a lot during the day which can make it a little un pleasant during the day.
There are some good camping areas around point Malcom and Israelite it's self. If your looking for a camping spot at the cliffs you have to get up and ove the dunes to get any protection.

Have Fun
Brett
AnswerID: 8893

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00
Hello - while probably of little consequence I would just like to correct a point of fact. Point Culver is often used to identify the location at which the Wylie Scarp meets the Baxter Cliffs (i.e. end of the beach heading east from Israelite Bay). This is incorrect. Point Culver is actually located about 15kms along the Baxter Cliffs east of where the beach ends and about 21kms east of where the track heads up/down the Wylie Scarp.Point Culver's location is well documented on maps and it always surprises me that people, who should know better, get it wrong.
Regards
Greg
FollowupID: 4695

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Ray,

You might want to check out Tim Bowdens book "Penelope goes West". He towed a Jayco offroad trailer (or similar) from Balledonia to Esperance. Pretty sure he didn't have any problems. Anyway, get the book and have a read. He gives details of his route and it's quite an entertaining read anyway.

:-) Melissa
AnswerID: 8981

Reply By: Member - Greg - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00
Not recently but about 6 years (easter) ago I pulled a 12ft Millard caravan (seriously modified for off road) from Baladonia past Mt Ragged to the Bay; with a Pajero!! In the company of a 60 series recovery vehicle :). It wasn't needed. Track narrow, rocky, rough, duco seriously polished. Bottom end sandy with some water lying over the track; NO problems except the wind on the beach blew us away.
So it can be done!! Lets hear you "don't take a trailer down there." 4WDers get into that!!
GregC
AnswerID: 9119

Sponsored Links