Fishing:Conway Beach (Black Stump) Park

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2447 Views:10057 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We were told, when we visited Conway Beach (Black Stump) Caravan Park, the fishing in the creek at Conway Beach (Wilsons Beach) - out of Properpine is very good.
Does anyone have experience in this area?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Andy,

This is my neck of the woods - lived around there for most of my life. The creek to which you are referring is presumably, the Proserpine River and yes the fishing is pretty good on the right day. Trick is to pick your tides, incoming being the best. Also, you really need a tinny to get out on the water as the river is lined with mangroves making fishing from the shore difficult. You can expect to catch Barramundi, Salmon, Mangrove jack and some lesser fish. Trolling or putting out a bait to float in the current seems to get the best results.

Personally, I reckon the best thing was mud crabbing and this is a very popular pastime on the river. For this you will need either pots or dillies. Pots can be left overnight, whereas dillies are best left for say, no more than half and hour else the crabs can have a feed off the bait and get out of there before you pull the dilly up. Try to drop pots and dillies in holes which without a depth sounder is a bit hard to know, but at the very least in water not too shallow and not were the current is too strong (with the large tidal range, the current can vary quite a bit). We always used about 6 dillies, putting them out ,then fishing in between the time for checking them again. Never went home without a feed or fish or muddies or both.

Don't forget the midgie repellant.

Now feeling rather homesick...:-(

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 8946

Follow Up By: Andy - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for that Melissa - you are quite right I should have said the mouth of the Proserpine River. We were also told that draging for prawns off the point between Conway Beach & Wilsons Beach can be very productive. Any experience?

Andy
FollowupID: 4454

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Andy,

Yes, good prawning!!! Dragging a net is quite easy around there, particularly off the beach at Conway, because snags are few and far between. The mouth of the river generally yields pretty good results but there are a few oyster (you can get some good oysters there too!) covered rocks around. Have a good look around at low tide first so you can avoid the snags and save the net. You should get a good feed and also the live prawns make pretty good bait for use up the river - the salmon like 'em.

Have you got a 4WD and tinny? If so hit me on the email and I'll fill you in on a couple of other really top spots around Proserpine. gmmkuipers@bigpond.com.au

Feeling even more homesick :-(((((

Melissa
FollowupID: 4468

Reply By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
Andy, Melissa has told you about all the creatures around Proserpine except the crocs. She mustn't like you very much! Mal T.
AnswerID: 9046

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
Ha, ha...they are reputed to be there but I never saw any or any signs of them. In fact, as kids we used to swim in the Prossy River. I must say though, that for awhile my folks had a place on 5 acres at Conway that backed onto the river and they swear at night they could hear the crocs "barking". Better not go dipping any limbs in Andy...LOL

:-) Melissa
FollowupID: 4521

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00
My last answer fell into the black hole of computer hell! About 8 years ago I used to collect water samples for the Qld Govt. We never saw crocs but saw lots of the slide marks in the mud on the banks where they slide into the river. Locals also warned us about them. As croc numbers have been on the increase for years now I would not be taking any chances. Even fishing in the same spot repeatitively can be dangerous. That's my penny-farthings worth. Mal T.
AnswerID: 9072

Sponsored Links