Jackeroo Transmission

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2450 Views:1487 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently looking at purchasing a 1999 3.5lt Jackeroo,on test driving I noticed a very slight wine coming from the trans in 5th gear at 100kph in 2WD.
In high and low range 4x4 it is fairly noticable,this Jackeroo has done 170,000km.
Can anyone please tell me if this is normal for these transmissions or is there a fault that occurs with these tranmissions.
The vehicle has done little 4x4 work.
Any ideas of costs involved if rebuild is required.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Peter.....I bought a new turbo diesel SE Jack in 99...has 60K on the clock at present...has had quite a few bush trips towing the HD camper trailer. The whine in 5th has been there right from the start....seems the extra load on 5th produces it, because as the speed rises and the load lessens it dissipates.....it has become quieter over time...initially it was barely noticeable anyway....has never been a big issue with me....I put it down to a design factor...my response has been to use a top shelf all synthetic gearbox oil, and to change it at half the rec interval....so far everything is going very well with the vehicle. Bye for now....dp
AnswerID: 8899

Follow Up By: Peter - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the info Darian,like I said the whine is worse in 4x4 low and high range, sounds like this is a characteristic of the vehicle type.
regards Peter.
FollowupID: 4422

Reply By: Old Soldier - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Peter,

Be a bit wary. Jackaroos are notorious for whine in 1,2,3 & 5 - especially as they get older.

I have a 98 V6 3.5 and it had a similar noise when I bought it with 125,000 on the clock. The salesman told me they "all did this"

I was amused that he thought I was so stupid. However, apart from that the vehicle was in excellent condition and was covered with an iron clad Qld government statutory warranty which enforces fixing ALL problems in the first 3 months.

I took it back to them at about 135,000km and demanded it fixed under stat warranty. the argued, cried poor, spat blood etc etc. but I persisted.

The end result was a gearbox overhaul with the replacement of lots of bearings and shafts - cost them a fortune.

Not my problem - theirs. I felt no sympathy for them.

the Jack is now perfect and has some hard off road travel since then.

Hope this helps. If you have some form of govt enforced stat warranty in your state you are fairly safe. Just get all your probs fixed within the period.

As for 2nd hand dealer warranties - not worth the paper they are printed on.

regards

Dennis

AnswerID: 8901

Thanks for the info Dennis,unfortunately this is a private sale vehicle I am looking at , so no warranty.
On the feed back I am receiving it sounds like this whine is common to the Jackeroo,How do you fine the 3.5lt engine for reliability and economy.
Regards Peter.
FollowupID: 4423

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
I am more than impressed with the 3.5V6. As my mechanic of 30 years said: "You couldn't smash it with an axe." :)

Economy? Well that is a subjective thing. I find it is the equal of other 4WD vehicles I have owned. Remember they are not your average falcon or commodore and do tend to chew up the fuel a bit more.

I am reasonably happy.

I towed an off road camping trailer [over a ton]around FNQ earlier this year on a 7,000km trip. The trip consisted of good bitumen roads, Qld "ribbon" roads, The great Top End road [and similar] and a few "more challenging" areas including the Bloomfield Track. The overall fuel economy was just over 18mpg. You will have to convert that to litres per km as I am one of those old farts who refuses to think in metric :) :) :)

Why not consider a good second hand one from a dealer??

regards

Dennis
FollowupID: 4430

Reply By: Darryl - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Hi peter,
I purchased 2000 se t/d 5 speed and the noise in fifth was there at 46000 km . I took it back to dealer and they told me there is a kit availible for 5th.
They installed and noise is gone .They said it would not have failed anyway but noises like that get on my goat , hope it helps .

Regards

Darryl
AnswerID: 8908

Thanks for the info Darryl,handy to know about the repair kit,I'll do some ringing around tommorrow and see if available and cost.
Regards Peter.
FollowupID: 4424

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

When towing trailers I thought you were supposed to use 5th only sparingly...??
AnswerID: 8910

Sponsored Links