trailblaza fridge basket

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 20:35
ThreadID: 24502 Views:3965 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 70l trailblaza fridge and would like to purchase a removable basket to suit. The manufactures do not supply one, but suggested using a plastic rectangular bucket, I would prefer to use a basket. Has anyone else found a suitable basket, or suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 21:06
Hi Chris

We to have a 70lt Trailblaza. I was going to suggest the Mitre 10 plastic bucket option that Norcoast have suggested.
I am toying with the idea of using a tall square tupperware or the Mrs Crockets salad containers. There are about 3 different sizes of them. If you approach Coles, Woolies or alike they generally will give them to you for nothing if they have some spare or will keep them for you to pick up next time you are shopping. Another option which I have not looked into yet (diamentions of them) is those ice cream containers from Baskin Robbins. Will be interesting to see if someone has found a wire basket though.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 119173

Follow Up By: Bundy - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 21:20

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 21:20
Tripp'n

What is the Mitre 10 plastic bucket option? I have a 70 Litre and have been looking for some new ideas!

Looking forward to your response.

Bundy
FollowupID: 374580

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 21:37

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 21:37
Hi Bundy

We saw the Trailblaza mob at the show and he showed us the 10lt rectangle plastic (mop) bucket that he uses. Won't be hard to see what I am talking about, I have one from many years ago. Still thinking of doing the tall square tupperware or the Mrs Crockets containers, I have heaps of either one.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cya
Tripp'n
FollowupID: 374585

Reply By: friar - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 21:15

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 21:15
Hi Chris
I have a 60lt trailblazer,what I have done is silicone 2 aluminum angle at the depth you want the basket to sit . O n the angle I have a sheet of ply hinged in the middle hope this makes sense to you.
Friar
AnswerID: 119175

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 21:37

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 21:37
Hi Friar (and Chris)

Yeap, we used perspex with roughly the same idea and it worked well until the corrugations on the south bypass road at the Cape last year. We are going to use 12mm board next time as they suggested at the Brissy show a few weeks ago. The space below is our freezer section which we have sectioned at about the height of a 2lt ice cream container. The space above is our fridge section but with things like lettuce, tomatoes, avacado and alike I found something was needed. Can only try and see what works and doesn't.

Cya
Tripp'n
FollowupID: 374330

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 22:56
Chris,
I have a 80 lt Trailblaza and am chasing the same sort of wire basket, so far without success. I am using a plastic basket that i have trimmed two sides so it will fit just inside the seal at the top, but if you put too much in, it falls inside. Also use the piece of ply to separate the frozen from the not so frozen. If any one comes up with a robust wire basket it would be nice to know.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 119196

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:57

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:57
Chris

Depending on the internal dimensions, perhaps a basket from one of the other makes of fridge would do the trick. e.g. the 60l Waeco is about 250x350x450 deep.

Just a thought.

Cheers
AnswerID: 119224

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:04

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:04
why do you want a wire basket....te engels have them main reason being to keep stuff away fron the thin wallled alloy evaporator....any thing rubbing against it will soon make a hole...
the trailbalza use heavy gauge alloy.....2mm i believe which is just a skin, as the copper tube (refrigerant circuit) is on the outside of the inner liner.

if you want one just to get all or part the stuff out, try a wire-maker....you would then need to get it plastic coated, or maybe they could make it out of stainless...warning - once of's are usally expensive
AnswerID: 119225

Reply By: pjd - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 14:05

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 14:05
IVE GOT A 60 LTR TRAILBLAZER & THE BASKET OUT OF A 4O LTR S/STEEL ENGEL FITS IN NICELY & IT IS ONLY 1/2 THE DEPTH & 1/2 THE WIDTH SO IT DEPENDS ON HOW BIG YOU WANT THE BASKET
AnswerID: 119279

Reply By: glenmac - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 14:30

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 14:30
Chris

I have a 70 lt Trailblazer and have it set up so that the freezer section is separated from the fridge by a piece of hinged ply. The ply was cut to hinge in the middle, length wise so that i don't have to open the entire freezer section all the time. Above this I have 2 plastic baskets that sit on top of each other and take up the width of the freezer and about 3/4 of the length. The baskets were brought from K-mart or the like. The baskets are just the right hight to fit cans standing upright and the bottom basket carries the required refreshments ( about 12 cans plus some water). The top basket carries the vegies, butter etc. At the end of the baskets there is room to carry 2lt milk containers and larger water bottles. This system has worked well for us for the past 4 yrs, so I hope this helps.

Glenmac
AnswerID: 119554

Follow Up By: Chris - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 22:53

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 22:53
Glenmac

Thanks for that, idealy I would like to have two baskets so that to access the bottom freezer area it is just a matter of lifting one basket. If I am unable to locate a suitable basket my last option is to manufacture them out of nylon and heat weld, cheers,

Chris
FollowupID: 374703

Sponsored Links