Fraser Island

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 23:39
ThreadID: 24510 Views:2875 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

My family & a group of friends are planning a trip for 2 weeks to Fraser Island in Sept. Any ideas on best camp spots, preferably near beaches & quiet (might be hard during school hols) We are also bringing tinnies, so fishing is on the agenda. Are any spots suitable for camper trailers ( the Jayco kind). How are Waddy Point & Dundabara??

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trekkie - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 00:15

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 00:15
We were there last August on our way to Cape York. Both vehicles with Kimberley Kampers.

Spent 3 nights in the same spot - really nice grassy area. If you take time to look for them there are many spots off the beach. Just look for the tracks leading off the beach. Not so sure in the school Holidays though. There are proper Camp sites at Waddy and Dundabara. We got a little slack with rubbish on our last night and the dingos made a real mess of the camp site - even stole full tins of food - found them in the bushes the next morning.
AnswerID: 119210

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:19

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:19
Keep an eye on this site for updates on conditions/closures etc!

QLD Parks info

We also did all our permits and stuff online before we went!

Steve
AnswerID: 119218

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:00

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:00
I was on Fraser about 6 weeks ago.

Due to camping restrictions at Indian Head, Dundubara has now become the main base for backpacker groups, jammed into overloaded troopies. Don't expect to get much peace nor sleep there. I would consider something on the beach, or perhaps stopping at Frasers, a little further south.

Dundubara was a nice spot, but the rangers there are useless so ther's no policing of late night/early morning noise.

Also, no camp fires allowed any more.

Still one of the nicest places on the planet, but not at Dundubara.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 119221

Follow Up By: Leonora - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 13:21

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 13:21
that's a shame to hear what you say about Dundaburra, we were thinking of either there or Cathedral in September and liked the idea of the 9pm curgfew as we've got young kids.
FollowupID: 376987

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 17:04

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 17:04
Check out post 24944. There may have been some "action" by Rangers there to curb the late night noise. If so it will be a good thing. I wrote a letter after my last visit there, and with others complaining as well it may be that the Ragners have come out of the comfort of their tin shed to do a bit of "rangering".

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 376996

Reply By: govo - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:07

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:07
In the past years we have camped at Dundabarra ,Waddy and along the beach...now we stay at Cathederal beach and carry half the gear we used to,plus they have all the facilatys there and you don't have to carry a bag of 20c pieces for the showers.
AnswerID: 119226

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:50

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:50
Hi,

You'll find it pretty hard to lauch a tinnie on the surf side. Some of the protected headlands and the western side are your best chance.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 119265

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 13:55

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 13:55
Beatit
Would you still recommend taking a tinnie despite limited launching opportunities?
FollowupID: 374390

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 14:29

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 14:29
G'day Mikey,

It would depend on your plans. My first reponse would be to say no, but if your into fishing and find the time then going to the west coast could make it worth it. If this is your first visit and you goal is to see a bit of the island I wouldn't bother with the tinnie. There is a heap of stuff to see and fishing the beach isn't so bad either.

For my money it would really depend on you set up. If you can easily load and unload your tinnie and it doesn't get in the way when not in use then take the chance and take it.

Tend to take mine, see

!MPG:7!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 374392

Reply By: wallypop - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 15:00

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 15:00
i will be there from the 4/8 /05 till the 10/8 /05 fishing with 5 boofhead mates if you see us on the beach say hi there might be a spair cold one

have fun i know we will lol
AnswerID: 119284

Reply By: Member - Robyn J (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:40

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:40
Having camped on Fraser once a year for the last 15 years and towing trailers every year,the futherest I would camp with a trailer is below Indian Head. The track around Indian Head is usually very soft and being school holidays the island is always busy. If you camp somewhere in the middle of the island beach side you can go south or north for the day.As you are going in September the fishing from the beach is usually the best as it is tailer season fishing early morning or late afternoon. Boat fishing would be best on the calm side but the track across the Island will be soft with lots of traffic.The other attraction in September is the whales they will usually give you a great show. We usually camp about 11ks+ north of Dundabara, heaps of water close by for showers and washing just take some plastic buckets with tight fitting lids. Some years it is even hard towing to get trailers down to the barge at Inskip point. One year they were bogged going down and cars were bogged getting off the barge to return to mainland. Make certain you lower your tyres and once moving keep up the momentom.
Enjoy the island
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 119315

Reply By: jenko - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 16:01

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 16:01
Hey Wallypop, You've never brought a beer in yer life. Change the Landcruiser for an envelope and make yer missus happy.

Just build yer muscles up for fraser Mate...

from one of your boofheaded mates..
AnswerID: 119455

Reply By: melaniekep - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:11

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:11
Thanks everyone for the feedback. By the way, does anyone know what the camping is like on the West side of the Island. I assume launching a tinnie from there is OK, but how is the fishing???

Thanks,

Mel
AnswerID: 119919

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:29

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:29
Forget the west side. Too many sand flies and mossies.

Due to the QPWS penchant for erecting little fences at all the camp sites, most of them are bloody useless for a camper trailer, only good for tents. I usually camp at on the beach up near Ocean Lake, just north of Waddy point, some bueat campsites and fairly sheltered. South of Indian tends to get too windy and too much beach traffic for me.
Nowhere on Fraser is quiet in school holidays :-((

Enjoy it anyway...
AnswerID: 121882

Follow Up By: GEG - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 10:06

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 10:06
Hi John,

I must be the only person in Brisbane who has not been to fraser, I tend to go to Moreton. But will be there for the Sept School Hol's.

I will be taking the 3 brats, with my girlfriend who will take her 2. She suggests we stay on the beach near Eli Creek & happy valley, but Im concerned about the wind and how my 7 yo will handle the dingo's. You Suggest up past Waddy is great, and so too does a friend of mine. However, I have been told september is when all the professional fisherman are all booked up there?

I just want to have a relaxing 5 nights in the tent on the beach, with drinking water not too far away and showers etc close by.

Oh, by the way can anyone tell me what the new beach camping area at Waddy is like? Our kids are aged 12, 12, 11, 10 and 7.

cheers...
FollowupID: 378098

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 08:16

Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 08:16
The "new beach camping area" has been there for a few years now :-)
That's the area near where all the professionals set up camp so can be crowed. Also not camper trailer friendly but OK for tent.
I go a bit further up, about another 4-5 ks, just before the Ocean Lake track. Quite a few good spots in the dunes there. There are toilets at Ocean Lake but no showers. You can swim in the fresh water lake but soaps etc are banned. Good enough to rinse the salt off before bed.
Hot showers a available to all at the Waddy Point camp ground, coin operated type.

The beach near Eli or Happy valley will be like the South East Freeway in the school holidays. You'll be amazed that there are so many 4WD's on the planet!!! Not a kid friendly area in my opinion, and yes the wind can be a pain. Prevailing weather is South Easterly and the beach faces that way. Above Waddy it's a bit more sheltered. Also slightly less traffic, but be careful, it's still very busy.

As far as Dingos go, just take heed of the instructions the Rangers will give you when you pike up your permits. Most of the problem dogs have been culled. Last time I went only saw one in a week.

Fraser is a great place and that time of year the weather is fantastic, but if you want solitude then the holidays are the wrong time to go.
FollowupID: 378189

Follow Up By: GEG - Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 20:38

Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 20:38
Thanks John,

So appreciate you taking the time to give me this advice.

YOur suggestion to go up further than Waddy is something I would rather do, but I dont mind being near the restaurants of happy valley should it be raining and I cant be bothered cooking.

Ill talk to my friend and suggest this option to her, as it sounds perfect.

Not really interested in having to cross the sth eastern freeway everytime we go down to the beach to paddle, that is certainly not a nice holiday.

thanks again.
FollowupID: 378287

Sponsored Links