LJ78 Prado 2L-Te

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:21
ThreadID: 24514 Views:4969 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day. I was wondering if the 2L-te EFI turbo diesel is a "reliable" motor? For what I have researched, this motor might be prone to overheating and soon after headgaskets? Maybe the viscous coupling on the fan too? Same as the 2LT II in the Surfs etc? A friend of mine says there was a recall on the above headgaskets on early production but I never heard of one. Anyone out there have first hand experience owning one of these Landcruiser Prado. It is a 1990 import LJ78 I'm considering for the family, good fuel econ (hopefully) and good ride with the coils. I like the old 2L motor and this new stuff has me a bit sceptical.

thanks a bunch,
johnny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vitara - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:34

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:34
Hi there johnnyhilux, mate can only comment on what I have read on here about temp problems with the surf imports.Someone else did have a link to a toyota surf website can't recall what it was. No dought some one will remember the link and post it for you to have a read up on. Mate Id do a check on availability for parts and things on a prado import make sure parts are available. I know the surfs have become quit easy now for parts compared to when they first started importing them. Also find out about insurance.!!! Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 119231

Follow Up By: vitara - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 13:22

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 13:22
Hi there again, Ifound that web site I was talking about it is www.toyotasurf.asn.au Hope it helps you a bit. Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 374388

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:51

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:51
The engine is not what causes the overheating, it's the lack of maintence to viscous fans, air cleaners and cooling systems that cause that. However they are prone to cracking heads if they are overheated. My personal opinion would be to see if you can find a prado import with the 1kz-te 3.0L motor in it or get a 3.0L surf instead (same motor).

The 2.4's are not a favourte of mine. They are pretty gutless (about the same power as a naturally aspirated 2.8D). But hey, there are plenty of the 2L-TE's around, and plenty of advise out there about them.
AnswerID: 119301

Sponsored Links