Birdsville weekend....getting closer!!!!

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:11
ThreadID: 24518 Views:2496 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Starting to get a bit concerned about the weather and likely road conditions we can expect this weekend!!!!!
Ruth, if you're reading this, could you give us a bit of an update what's happening up your way, please?
Looking at channel 9's today show weather map this morning, there seemed to be a huge area of heavy rain moving east-south-east from around Alice Springs , across the Simpson Desert region, over Channel Country etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:53

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:53
G'day Roachie,

Thanks for trying to make me feel better but I'm still dissapointed not to be going!

You have a patrol - nothing to worry about mate but can't say the same for some of the other less fortunate members.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 119267

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:40

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:40
Good Luck with the trip. Hope all roads are open for you.
I had wanted to do the trip for the BBQ & get together but family & work put that into the 2 hard basket.
Thanks for the infor on the Battery chargers, great help. Looks like I will have to put them on my saving list for later in the year.
Have fun
Vince
AnswerID: 119273

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:55

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:55
Hi Roachie,

By the look of the rain chart maps on the weather channel site, the rain peters out before it gets to Simpson Desert, so it looks like all will be well.

Rain Chart Day 4

Rain Chart Day 5

Cheers

Glenn
4wdadventureoz
AnswerID: 119277

Reply By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 15:39

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 15:39
Come on now bill we will be fine you & paul have GU trols & i have a GQ trol so shouldnt be any problem
We all have toyota recovery points on our trols to pull any unfortunates out of trouble lol ( bet this gets a reply or two lol )
Looking foward to a good trip up to Birdsville & meeting all i havent met yet up there
warren

AnswerID: 119286

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 16:49

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 16:49
ahhh Warren,

This could stir up a great post, especially from Toyota drivers like myself, but having met you I know you are ROFLYAO over it. Enjoy the trip, you are definately going to see the best side of things in the Simpson with all the wild flowers.

Cheers

Glenn
4wdadventureoz
FollowupID: 374403

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:43

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:43
Ahahahahah
hi glenn
yes you are right
but i cant waste a chance to throw a line in & see who bits
too bad the crew from the Robe & Murray Sunset gatherings arent all going
But there will be other times
And your gearing up for a 35 day one yourself arent you ???
warren
FollowupID: 374414

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:36

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:36
Hi Warren,

Yes mate, only 16 sleeps until the tour heads off for a fantastic 29 night journey up to the Gulf and return via Birdsville and Innamincka. Almost packed except for clothes, food and fuel, and I can hardly wait.

Enjoy your trip and I am sure we will catch up soon.

Cheers

Glenn
4wdadventureoz
FollowupID: 374426

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:18

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:18
Hey! Roachie

Check the following two URL'S (BOM 4 day weather forcast)

9.00pm Friday (tomorrow)

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDG00074.gif?%3C!--#flastmod%20virtual=%22/fwo/IDG00074.gif%22%20--%3E

9.00pm Monday

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDG00074.gif?%3C!--#flastmod%20virtual=%22/fwo/IDG00074.gif%22%20--%3E

You just make sure you pack double rations and with the 'Aussie chef' along to cook up for you all, you will be able last for weeks without a resupply.

I may visit the area in September to look at the wild flowers after the July/August rains and if I come across you guys still stuck in the mud somewhere out there,
I 'll toss you a line, shovel, jack, tirfor, sand/mud anchor etc etc and have a beer or three whilst I watch you extract yourselves.

Nah! on second thoughts I think I might just hook up all the 'trolls' one after the other in a line, then add the master piece - THE most fantastic 75series Troopy ever devised and tow the lot out in 2WD high just to add insult to injury.

R all over the FLMAO.

Now you all have a nice one and don't give 'aunty Ruth' stress and strain.

AnswerID: 119305

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:55

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:55
Aw gee whizz! Bill

Someone mentioned that they had had 28mm in Alice Springs and the centre and it was still 'persisting down'.

The kind gentleman suggested taking your raincoat, I thing he was underestimating the situation.

I do believe you should be taking your umbrellas, snorkels, goggles and flippers and enough stationery to set up a branch of the National whilst you are waiting to get out of Birdsville.

Man! that town is just going to love having you guys for a couple of months. (oops meant a couple of days)

You will be able to entertain Aunty Ruth, Ian and Carsten, and the best bit will be if the 'inland sea' is low enough you can visit Big Red and drive up and down it with the greatest of ease while it has wet sand.

Just wish I was there with you and Warren because by the time we left I would be an expert from all his tips and tuition on cooking in the Mini propane webber.

Make sure you get Annette to cook a big batch of those ANZAC bickies mate because it might be ANZAC day befor we see you again.

This is so good I could go on all night, however seriously ( I'll try my best) have a good trip and if it rains DON'T be tempted to go down the K1 line as that mother of a lagoon at the bottom near the Warburton creek is an absolute trap.

Ken

PS

If I was you I would leave right after you read this post. (nah! just pushing your buttons - maybe)

FollowupID: 374429

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:27

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:27
G'day Roachie,
Mate I hope you had some luck in solving your overheating problem, I still owe you an apology for a figure I gave you a while ago on the sub tank, after re-reading it a few days later I realised I said 40lt, not 30lt, (musta been a monday!) probably no big deal, but it's been bugging me.
Hope you and others have a good time and weather in b'ville, wish I was coming to meet a few 'mexican' members in person, unfortunately wallet is still empty after coming back from up north a couple of months ago, hopefully next time.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 119308

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:32

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:32
28mm in Alice Springs in the last 24 hours and more to come.

Take your rain coat Roachie, Hope all goes well and you have a great time.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 119309

Reply By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:01

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:01
Roachie have a great time mate,I'll catch up with you in a couple of weeks.cheer's Peter
AnswerID: 119350

Sponsored Links