Fuel price shock

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:28
ThreadID: 24520 Views:1978 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Malaysia has had a fuel price increase. They poor buggers now pay up to 52 cents A$ for petrol and 36 cents A$ for deisel. The price we sell LPG to China is 3 cents A$ a litre.
Just for info, the Malayian Governemnt subsidises private drivers and they charge no tax. They consider fule is a must have comodity and not a luxury.

Are we being ripped off? Ask G dubbya or his mate.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:20

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:20
Of course we are getting ripped off. The Aus govt just lurves the GST on fuel and the oil companies hate the Australians.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 119293

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:42

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:42
Dodger you say that like GST is the ONLY take we pay on fuel... What about the state and government excise etc?? They are absolutally cleaning up, the government would be making an easy 2 times more on fuel than the oil companies are!

Wow, Johnny's retirement fund must be looking pretty good by now! I spose why would you give crap about the price of fuel when you don't ever have to pay for it. Just hope in the tax payers caprice and tell the driver where to go...
FollowupID: 374411

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:50

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:50
Youre right Jeff,
State and federal Govt's see the Aust Motorist as a milking cow and the poor buggers cannot do a thing about it as they do not have a say in the price structure.
Like most things the average Ausie uses the pollies do not have to pay for so they don't care eg,
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374417

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:55

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:55
If not taxed on fuel will only pay for it somewhere else. It is an inexpensive way for the Govt to collect tax and no-body can dodge it.

If all we had was a fuel tax then how simple would that be. The wealthy pay minimal tax anyway so what difference would it make??

Just a thought!!!!!

Vote 1. Spade Newsom at the next federal election. Founding and only member of the Fuel Tax Party. (Pauline where are you I need advice on how to establish a political party) LOL

Spade
AnswerID: 119483

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 19:16

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 19:16
Yep the tax on fuel seems fair compared to a large number of other countries. If one cannot afford the fuel then one should travel closer to home.
FollowupID: 374757

Reply By: Flash - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:28

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:28
Yeah. Have to say it.
Australia has VERY generous social security compared to most countries incl. Malaysia.
Therefore we have to raise this in taxes. (Money doesn't come from nowhere!)
Therefore fuel tax is a reasonable "user pays" way of raising SOME of that money.

Alternatively, dispense with social security and have less taxes (fuel,GST,income tax,etc.etc.) Simple choice???

Personally, I believe Rego should be much cheaper, and an additional (smal)l levy on fuel to make up the difference, so we could afford to have small, efficient, and less polluting cars for the daily work commute and save the gas guzzling 4WD for weekends. However with Rego so expensive it isn't worth having the extra car! Any thoughts on that one? ...My 4WD does lots of kilometres in traffic when it could (and should) be home in the garage.
AnswerID: 119777

Sponsored Links