shell fuel prices

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:25
ThreadID: 24531 Views:4548 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
evening all

for anybody interested if type in www.shell.com.au you can get daily prices throughout aussie just go to fuel prices

steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:50

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:50
Hi All,

While on the subject of Shell Fuel Card prices, I have a Shell Card via a salary package deal with my employer and any fuel charged to the card is at the lower of list price or pump price. The list price (probably as per the web site in Steve's post) is usually about 1 or 2 cents above what you find at the pumps in metro areas. But what this means is that if you fill up at an isolated Shell you don't pay exhorbitant price!

On 16/3/2005 I filled up in metro Adelaide and paid $1.16 a litre. A week later I filled up at the Shell at Lyndhurst before heading to Innamincka on 24/3/05 and the pump price was $1.28 a litre. I was actually charged only $1.19 a litre on the shell card a month later.

In Weipa in FNQ it was $1.24 at the pump but on my shell card statement it was only $1.11 per litre. As I put in 105 litres I saved about $11.

Not only that - you get a month to pay the account! In my case it is paid direct from my pre-tax salary saving me heaps more. The employer also claims the GST as an input tax credit - another 11 or 12 cents a litre saved. This means I pay at the end of the day about 60 to 70 cents a litre for my diesel. Makes it affordable to go on more trips!

There are always downsides though
- not everywhere remote has a Shell
- some remote Shells may not accept the card ( I am yet to find one though)
- not everyone can get a Shell Card.
- you can't use Coles dockets to get 4 cents a litre discount
- a Shell Card has an admin fee of $1.50 a month

Life is not without it's problems.

Look into it - if you can salary package, or can apply for a private Shell Card (or BP card, or Caltex Card) then do the numbers. If you use lots of high priced diesel then you might make a good saving. How do you think the big trucks can afford to fill up with a thousand litres a go!

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 119318

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:09

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:09
I do the same but I've got a Caltex(Ampol & woolworths/safeway also) and a BP card. On my monthly statements, I appear to be saving at least 10c/litre. Also, the money going onto the cards to pay for the fuel is taxed at 11%(FBT) instead of 47%(income tax), same with rego, insurance, tyres, servicing, etc.

If you can get a novated lease, it may well be worth investigating the benifits.
FollowupID: 374458

Follow Up By: TOB - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 08:48

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 08:48
Don't forget to pay the gst when your lease has finished. Big surprise for some!
FollowupID: 374627

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 09:44

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 09:44
My final figure was GST inclusive, no suprises here... Hopefully!
FollowupID: 374631

Sponsored Links