Trip to lightning ridge

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:10
ThreadID: 24541 Views:1824 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are of to lightning ridge in early september heading of from central coast, yes we no its not a long way but we don't have long off. anyway can any give us a few ideas of what to stop and see on the way and when we get there.
Thanks for any help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:33

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:33
If you can stop off at Dubbo and see the Zoo and the Old Dubbo Jail both are great and the Zoo is reasonably priced.The Railway Bowling Club in Dubbo has an "all you can eat" restraunt that has sea food, Chinese food as well as the Ausie traditional roasts all for $17.50 per head.
Have a look around the towns of Gilgandra (which has an observatory) Coonamble and Walget on the way.

Also when at the Ridg make sure you get into the heated baths (free) and cook yourselves , it's great. The local Club at the ridge is also a great spot.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 119366

Follow Up By: DB - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 00:21

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 00:21
the ridge is a great place to go.was there a few years back,agree with dodger the hot baths are wonderful,there are so many oddites to look at around the place,go to the underground museum,check out the leg in the jar..*LOL* enjoy yourselfs
FollowupID: 374460

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:24

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:24
Do an opal mine tour, car door tour (4 tours where you follow colour coded & numbered doors), and if you have kids there is a fantastic water theme park complete with wave pool.

There is also a place just out of lightning ridge where the larger mines dump there left overs and you can go out and try your luck, some people have been really lucky here.

Try here to check if there is anything in particular on, there caravan park on the left on the way in the with the Combi on a pole with wings is a great place to stay
lightning ridge

Steve & Sandy
AnswerID: 119376

Follow Up By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:27

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:27
Lightning Ridge Hotel Motel, we've stayed at a few and this would have to be the best
FollowupID: 374462

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:28

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:28
There is a hot bore on the eastern side of Burren Junction and there is Mt Kaputa National Park just north east of Narrabri. View from the lookout at the top of Mt Kaputa is definately worth it.
AnswerID: 119391

Reply By: Stoutman - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:45

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:45
I am off to Lightning Ridge on Friday 29th July. I have the terrible honour of judging their Homebrew Competition they have in conjunction with their annual Opal Festival. (Someone has to do it).
Besides "The Ridge" is a great place. Lots to see and very friendly people. Agree the local club is good with excellent meals.
If anyone is out there on Sat 30th July then come and have a homebrew with us while we do the judging.
The Bigfella
AnswerID: 119416

Sponsored Links