Classic Range rover

Submitted: Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 00:32
ThreadID: 24543 Views:1731 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just joined the forum and was after some info on owning an early V8 Range Rover on gas (1970 - 85'). I currentley own a 1990 Tdi Pajero but want more performance and off road ability. I like the looks and performance of these beasts (and am a bit a Landie nut) but are they reliable enough for everyday use - especially for a poor P - plater?

Any info greately appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 07:52

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 07:52
The best ppls to answer these questions lurk around

http://www.aulro.com

Check out the forums and pose your queries

Cheers
AnswerID: 119382

Reply By: Blackie - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:13

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:13
You could try here too.
http://www.comcen.com.au/~blumx/
AnswerID: 119421

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 20:50

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 20:50
Landies rule,
I have an 85 Rangie I bought three years ago, off road you couldn't have more fun with your clothes on. If you keep it standard and don't do outlandish things to it I'm sure it will give you reliable service. Mines a carby model I got one of them for simplicities sake, Fuel injection can be very costly. I lifted it 50 mm, fitted muddies a UHF radio and a diff lock in the rear, that's it. All I've had to replace mechanically in three years has been the starter motor. I've had to repair bits due to "bush rash", indicators, (three off), one bumper (front), I straightened the rear one again it's on it's third life. If you mess around with tyre sizes and engines things break, and it's not cheap. The engines thirsty but reliable, they don't like water due to the dizzy position. Mines done 260 thousand still goes well. Take the self leveling device off the rear axel it's useless.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 119495

Reply By: Landies rule - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:58

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:58
Thanks heaps for the info Martyn, the set up on your Rangie is close to what I would want to do to mine.

I also wondered about the cost and problems (if any?) of fitting gas to the V8, being an all - alloy lump i'm guessing they don't take to overheating, burnt valves etc. the way motors with iron heads and blocks do.
AnswerID: 119509

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 21:23

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 21:23
Landies rule,
If I was you I wouldn't fit gas, you've mentioned the problems, alloy is not the best anyway. Mine overheated a bit on sand runs so I fitted the 86 on radiator which is slightly bigger but bolts straight in. Make sure you get the shroud with the radiator, the early one doesn't fit the later rad. The cooling on the early models was always close to the mark. On Gas the engine will run hotter, as I mentioned originally the more you mess about with the mechanics of the thing the worse and less reliable it will get. Your choice but wouldn't and haven't. I fitted NGK Iridium spark plugs, not cheap but they made a sh*t load of difference and apparently last for about 80,000 k's, so far so good.

Over to you.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 374686

Sponsored Links