So,who got stranded?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 18:39
ThreadID: 24563 Views:2620 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
What with the good rains we have just received here in the north of SA, there are many road closures.

William Creek is boasting a population of about 100 people, and expects to for the next 3 days.

I know Patrolman Pat was leaving Adelaide yesterday ( Thursday ), and hoping to meet up with Aussiechef somewhere north of the Flinders. The National meeting at Birdsville was high on their list, along with other itineraries.

So, for those in the know, and with limited contact with our outback travellers, who is where, and for how long do they think they'll be stuck?

Are they still having a ball, like big fire, plenty to eat & drink...etc?

Cheers

Dry Wolf
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 18:46

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 18:46
Hi wolfie
Aussiechef is still on yp leaving tomorrow with roachie and crew, just looking at bom site and there is no rain nth of marree at this stage so i suspect track will be open by sunday, but very wet around flinders and up here in mid nth, been raining steady since 11 am today, without stopping.
Just watched 7 news and they say tracks may be open by tomorrow, so go for it guys and have a good time without us hahahahah
AnswerID: 119476

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 18:58

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 18:58
Thanks Steve. Must have got my days all muddled up!

We haven't had any rain here in Adelaide today, or yesterday, to speak of. so it wasn't till I watched tonight's news that I learnt of mass closures.

As you say, if they reopen in a couple of days, then it shouldn't put too much of a damper on intended trips.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 374555

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:36

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:36
Maree had 25 mm rain - Mungerannie had 49 mm rain!!!! The Birdsville Track won't be open for a few days at this rate. Innamincka had 16 mm.
In Birdsville, Penguin, John R., Howard Taylor, Wim & Judith, Willem & Judith, Bazza & Kerry, Mark the Shark (a lurker) & Janice.
should be a beautiful day tomorrow - freezing cold tonight. Meeting at Karsten's tomorrow night and camp fire cookout Sunday night.
Roachie & others will miss out because very doubtful that roads will open - no reason not to party when he gets here tho! LOL. See me earlier post today - about 6:30 a.m.
AnswerID: 119480

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:38

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:38
All roads to Innamincka closed and Birdsville Tack closed. Haven't had promised Simpson Desert Bulletin yet - but 40 mm at Mt Dare and 30 mm at Oodandatta will make a difference. 59 mm at Alice Springs.
All the sandhills around town just going green from last rain. Yahoo.
FollowupID: 374560

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 20:14

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 20:14
Wolfie

Pat was planning to stay in Quorn last night so he would either still be hanging around there or, if he hadnt heard about the closures, he would have been stopped at Lyndhurst

I have a loaded and fuelled Patrol sitting in the driveway but wont be going anywhere. We were planning on doing the RFDS Overlander fundraiser meet at Cameron Corner on Sat nite then across to Birdsville for Sunday nite with the Exploroz mob.

bugger.......

maybe another time
AnswerID: 119487

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 20:37

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 20:37
Andrew, sorry, but Pat did also mention you to me as well.... sorry I forgot to write your name in.

So, all dressed up, with nowhere to go..... bugger....

Do you have a plan "B"?

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 374570

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 21:26

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 21:26
Plan B is stay home where its dry and warm!

Might day trip to the Flinders on Sunday just as a bit of a recce to see if its greening up yet
FollowupID: 374583

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:21

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:21
G'day Andrew and Wolfie,
Mate, staying at home and keeping warm ain't gunna be any fun at all........get your finger out and start heading north!!!!!!!!!
We still reckon we'll head off towards Maree tomorrow, but will not leave until the morning update of road conditions has been done on the transportsa website.
Hope to run into somewhere........
Our plan B is to go up the Stuart, possibly as far as the Alice, and then work backwards from there in a few days; Chambers Pillar, then Mt Dare, Dalhousie, then across the Simpson to Birdsville. This all depends on what's happening.
Plan C is to admit defeat and head to the west coast to see the whales!
Cheers and thanks for the updates Ruth.....
Cya
Roachie
FollowupID: 374595

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:33

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:33
Roachie

Unfortunately I have to be back at work on Wednesday so it was always going to be a rushed trip for me. Rushed trips and greasy tracks are a bad combo so I'll be staying put.

Keep an eye out for 5 vehicles from the Whyalla Club though, they are leaving here tomorrow morning for a West to East Simpson Crossing. Like you, I think they'll end up going to Coober Pedy and then seeing whats open from there.
FollowupID: 374598

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:35

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:35
How rude of me!
I forgot to say enjoy your trip, wherever you end up going.

Googs is open at the moment if you want a direct route to Ceduna from up Coober Pedy way.
FollowupID: 374599

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:18

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 22:18
Wolfie

Pats' better half has spoken to him and he's holed up at Leigh Creek

Link to her post on Overlander Forum
AnswerID: 119504

Reply By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:27

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:27
see your going to become Stranded in the next couple of years eh?
come on over to the dark side now, while you can ...the benefit you ask....a real computer
AnswerID: 119542

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 14:41

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 14:41
Too late!!!

This week, the following stuff happened....

I bought my son's Titanium for my wife Tracy, now we have a laptop each ( Apple ), and they are both using the Airport System for our broadband connection.

The eMac, in the lounge, is now basically Rhiannan's, also on Airport.

My son, Mark, as I write this, is cleaning up his 1 1/2 y/o iMac, he has just sold it. He is now going to buy a Mac Mini, specs are quite high, along with a 20" Apple Cinema Display. He needs the wide screen because he is a coder ( Software Programmer ).

I still have the iMac at work.

We also have 2 iPods.

We are hopelessly fully ingrained with Apple products, they are a big part of our life.

We run our own blogs, listen to Podcasts, and are contemplating setting up our own Podcast. We have a .Mac account, as well as our normal ISP, plus our own registered domain name & server in Melbourne.

I do agree, there is waaaay more stuff available for the PC, but what we do have here for the macs, is rock solid, and works well for us.

When I was a professional shooter, I had a Weatherby 224 Magnum, and a BRNO Fox Model 2 in .17 Rem. with a C/Moly Shillen. I always wanted something which was a little different, and lasted the distance.

I guess I like good things....lol!

Cheers

Wolfie

FollowupID: 374643

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 22:20

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 22:20
... i guess you aint heard yet...apple are going to use INTEL chips....
meaning your operating system system will soon be obsolete with no back up .......go get a real computer
FollowupID: 374697

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:16

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:16
Well, sort of half right.

Yes, Apple are moving to Intel, because it has a better long term plan.

Now, for the other half bit.... the wrong bit.

Since the advent of OS 10, which would be nearly 2 years, it has always been compiled for BOTH chips. Not public knowledge, I know, but my son is a programmer (BA Comp Sci. ), and he is aware of the dual architecture.

I guess what will happen in say the next 10 years, is there will be no real difference between Apple & PC's. They will probably run the same software, and not have differing platforms, which the writers have to port.

I am sure there will be a standard, like what the digital camera industry is currently going through, what with the ownership of RAW data which is peculiar to every different brand of camera, and Nikon is being very, very shady. They are trying to make their software proprietary, which eventually squeeze them out of the market once Adobe Image RAW gets hold, and standardises the processes of imaging.

I guess at the end of the day, it will always be Apple vs. Pc, like Engel / Waeco & Toyota / Nissan.

It would be a boring old world if we all did the same thing....

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 374706

Sponsored Links