To driver of LandCruiser NYP-629 in Vic

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:32
ThreadID: 24572 Views:2708 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Just on the off-chance you read Exploroz, saw your rig today - you've got a fire extinguisher in a PLASTIC bracket mounted directly behind your head on the front of the cargo barrier - in the event of a bad-enough accident, that could break and smack you in the back of the head. Kind of makes your cargo barrier redundant. You should look for an extinguisher with a metal bracket, or move the plastic bracket one to the other side of the cargo barrier.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:05

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:05
Ive got our fire extinguisher mounted in the middle of the cargo barrier(hopefully if it did break free it would sail straight past driver and passenger) by a metal bracket and then a nylon strap which only takes second to release.
AnswerID: 119580

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:12

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:12
Scubaroo: whilst I appreciate you are trying to be helpful I remain unconvinced that giving people detailed instructions on how to live their lives and, in particular, what they are currently doing wrong in said lives, is appropriate.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 119581

Follow Up By: timber - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:25

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:25
..............like your comment................and this one too I suppose!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 374665

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:09

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:09
Doesnt the widley accepted practice of OH&S give people Quote"detailed instructions on how to live their lives" and perform their jobs when it can impede on OTHERS lives!!!!

By trying to educate somone to prevent an unsafe act can never be considered inappropriate! In fact, if someone was in a position to know better and looked the other way would they not be negligent in their duty of care?

Cmon mike, fear of litigation or political correctness doesnt mean we have to become socialy devoid of our community responsabilities and if that stems down to constructive criticism or education......who would fault someone for that?

FollowupID: 374828

Reply By: Scubaroo - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:52

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 19:52
WTF? It's a safety issue. He might be well-meaning having the extinguisher in his car, but what if there was an accident - could cost some kid their father because something simple was overlooked like a plastic bracket. Might have come in a box labelled "car extinguisher" but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for the job.

There's a reason why competitions require metal brackets for extinguishers in rally vehicles.
AnswerID: 119585

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 20:16

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 20:16
What you say may well be correct: nevertheless, it's not for you to tell other people how to live their lives.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 374671

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 21:43

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 21:43
Actually I thought it was a great piece of advice, even if the bloke it was directed at doesn't see it, it may help plenty of others that stumble upon this post to think about where they mount anything in their vehicle. IMO good advice and well posted Scubaroo.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 374690

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:32

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:32
Hey Pezza (just a small hijack, sorry). Was just looking at your rig pics and I like the idea of the water level guage but was just wondering if you have any problem with alge growing in the tank because of the light through the transparent hose? It would be good to know how much I've got in the tank...
FollowupID: 374836

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:46

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:46
G'day Jeff,

Good point, tell the truth I made sure the rest of the tank was dark but forgot about the hose. It's only been in a couple of months, nothing on it so far, though if it does start to grow it should be in the hose only I hope, a matter of keeping an eye on it and pull the hose off, clean with baby bottle wash and replace. (works a treat on cammelback hoses when I forget to empty them) I'll let you know if anything grows as time goes on.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 374852

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 22:21

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 22:21
Thanks Scubaroo,
Good to see someone thinking outside the box.
Not everyone on this earth understands that some brackets will attach an extinguisher to a wall but never remain intact in a car accident.
I know I've copped some grief in my time because I won't allow the kids to have scissors and the like in the car when we travel.
The other thing with this item in an accident, what if it missed smashing the owner in the back of the head and remove some poor buggers smile in the other car?

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 119607

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:07

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:07
Mike
Safety starts with you/me, safety is for everyone. Simply a suggestion or advice. I don't see Scubaroo's post is telling how the LC owner should "live" his life.

Regards
Andy
AnswerID: 119659

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:46

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:46
I think it's a good think that you've done, the only thing I would suggest is probally to not post people's number plates on the forum without their permission. Maybe just a location and description of the vehicle. But hey, that's just how I would feel if it were me.
AnswerID: 119753

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:06

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:06
Scubaroo

advising somebody re a potential risk is a great idea and may save somebody some grief, so keep it up. I didn't see anything in your post which anybody could take offence at.

Having said that I have recently returned form a trip outback where one of our fellow tourers hung his vehicle on a sand dune and proceeded to dig it out.

The vehicle was an automatic, with the engine running and left in reverse gear without the handbrake on. In an effort to alert him to the danger (he was trying to free the vehicle by digging the sand from under the rear wheels and the rear diff with his shovel, while standing behind the vehicle). Those of us to the rear of the convoy let him know he was in danger by UHF radio and those immediately near him let him know by voice.

His response was something like "don't you think I've been stuck in sand before and the vehicle; it won't go anywhere, I know what I am doing."

If he had succeeded in freeing it, it would have MOTORED back onto him.

Moral of the story, you can point out to people the risk they are taking but at the end of the day it is the individuals decision to take the advice or leave it.

I must admit I thought twice about helping him in the future should things go wrong.

However I would still point things out where necessary in the hope that someone would listen, and also I would welcome people pointing out my mistakes to me, as I have no wish to become a statistic.
AnswerID: 119819

Sponsored Links