Dajarra - Cloncurry road

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 15:02
ThreadID: 24589 Views:1692 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am leading a group of eight vehicles from Melbourne to Karumba in August/September. Can anyone give me any info on the Duchess - Cloncuurry Road and is there decent bush camping along the Duchess - Malbon stretch? I know it's currentyly flooded but hopefully it will have dried out by the time we go.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul&Terri - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 16:38

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 16:38
G'day Chris,
The track across from Dajarra to Duchess is all dirt except for a 200M strip at Duchess itself. Duschess is literally a pub and a new railway platform and not much else. From Duchess to the Curry has several sealed sections and is quite a good road. Near malbon is the river which should provide some nice camping oportunities. If you cannot get in through this way and end up travelling thorugh the Isa there a few nice camps sites between the Isa and the Curry just off the highway and one right on the main road half way between the Isa and the Curry. The other two are East Liechhardt and Fountain Springs. I spent three years (up until 3 months ago) in the Isa travelling to the remote mine sites and regularly travelled through Duchess & Dajara on my way to Phosphate Hill and Osborne mines. If you are like me you will enjoy the journey in this part of the world. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 119649

Reply By: Chris H - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 19:23

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 19:23
Thanks for your helpful comments. I'll post some feedback on our teturn.
AnswerID: 119679

Sponsored Links