FRASER ISLAND FIREWOOD

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:12
ThreadID: 24596 Views:7013 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We're off to Fraser Is in a couple of weeks, and wonder if someone can translate for me the info about firewood on the back of the Hema Map & the Nat Parks web site. They specify you bring your own, and the quality.

Does that mean "You can buy bags of the right stuff at xyz shop at Rainbow Beach", or do you have to chase it up yourself? We are camping at Dundaburra where they say you can have fires.

However, we'd sooner not have to heft it up from Sydney or something.

Thanks
Max
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dock - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:35

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:35
We were out on Fraser last week and camped at Waddy Point, the only other spot apart from Dundaburra that allows campfires. You are not allowed to use any of the timber from the island so you have to bring your own. It is supposed to be mill ends, without any bark on it so that it wont introduce pathogens into the park. We didn't see any wood for sale, out on Fraser itself, but it might be worth a phonecall to Eurong village to double check. Otherwise you will have to bring your own from home. The rangers are keen to check that you have bought your own wood.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dock
AnswerID: 119665

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 18:55

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 18:55
hi max.
dock has covered it pretty well, you could ring the eurong shop they might sell it.
but i know for sure the shell servo at rainbow beach sells it packed in old fertilizer bags. i think its $10. when i was there earlier this year they had a fire ban that was just ending and the group next to us at waddy gave us 2 bags they hadn't been able to use
regards peter.
AnswerID: 119675

Reply By: Phil P - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:55

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:55
I was at Fraser 15 months ago and could collect firewood (for free) at some of the campgrounds (Waddy Point & Dundubara) they did specify only an armful per day. Take a strong bag to put it in as it is quite messy. It was a huge pile of wood in a fenced of area designated specifically for firewood collection.

We had no problems getting ample firewood for our 4 day visit to the Island.

We camped away from the campgrounds and only visited them for the facilities.

AnswerID: 119702

Follow Up By: Member - Robyn J (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:24

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:24
Thats the way it used to be even if it was s..it timber but no more.We always broght out own and if we were running low or needed small stuff to light the fire we would go and get some some from those places We camp on the beach so from now on no more fires for us. How will I have my hot showre. Well I klnow the Coleman will be used more from now on.
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374797

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:12

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:12
Hi max
post an email address and I will send you a copy of QPWS changes and conditions
to camping on fraser island

regards ross
AnswerID: 119713

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:50

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:50
Lets not keep it too secret.......

Fraser Island News

Extract from above with respect to firewood:

Firewood and open campfires
Visitors are encouraged to bring and use their own fuel or gas camping stoves to help Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) in its attempts to reduce the high numbers of burn injuries related to open campfires. The policy on open campfires also aims to reduce the risk of wildfires caused by campfires and helps create a clean-air camping experience on Fraser Island.

QPWS will (old news, will = have):

- prohibit open campfires except in provided fire rings from 1 February 2005.

- cease providing firewood to Fraser Island from 31 October 2004.

Campers who want a campfire in the communal fire rings provided, must bring their own firewood. However it must be untreated, milled timber (e.g. mill off-cuts), not bush timber, as this reduces the risk of introducing foreign pathogens and other pests into the park. Visitors are reminded that all flora in protected areas, including dead trees or fallen limbs, is protected by law and therefore cannot be cut or collected.
QPWS provides communal fire rings at:

Waddy Point beachfront campground

Waddy Point campground

Dundubara campground

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 374798

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:56

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 23:56
All I had was an acrobat reader form in my mail and dont no how to post it
FollowupID: 374799

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:03

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:03
No worries - does your info say anything different to website?(ie more up to date?) With respect to acrobat reader try "Select Text" and then cut and paste. Also what the hell are you doing up so late? Watching the cricket?
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 374800

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:23

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:23
Sorry mate still stuffing it up. And reply to your question shift worker.
So what are you still up for.
regards ross
FollowupID: 374801

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:26

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:26
Updating my resume for tender ...always leave things to the last minute!!
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 374802

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:29

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:29
Now the feeling I guess we all work better under pressure, more of a challange hehehe.
regards ross
FollowupID: 374803

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:49

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:49
Thanks Guys

This forum is like a 4WD club, only you don't have to wait for meetings to ask a question. And you get the shift workers' and last minute tender submitters' input overnight too.

Must admit that in the days when I went to work the report that had to be done by end of day was always started about 4 30 and I went home when it was finished - always seemed a heap better that way. About the same now for volunteer work now!

Looks like we buy a bag of wood at the Shell servo at Rainbow Beach and shove it on the roof rack. Two of us travelling together - 2 bags should last a week. A bugger though - really wonder if we have to be protected from burns, or whether really the Dept does not want to pay people to clean up fire rings?

Appreciate the help & cheers
Max
AnswerID: 119722

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:30

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:30
check with rangers first...... was there recently and a total fire ban was in place!
AnswerID: 119810

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 20:20

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 20:20
Have to pick up my vehicle permit at Rainbow Beach rangers, so will check the story with them before heading round to the servo. Just didn't want to have to cart firewood all the way from Sydney.

Ta
Max
FollowupID: 374913

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 22:01

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 22:01
Have a great holiday Max....... Lucky bugger! :-))
FollowupID: 374930

Sponsored Links