Which tent

Submitted: Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:44
ThreadID: 24615 Views:7989 Replies:14 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My husband & I are arguing over 2 tents. I would like the 30sec tent & my husband the Oztrail tourering tent. We have 2 young children 2 & 10mths and need the room to move plus be able to put up and down in a very short time. We've just done CSR to Georgia bore by using a small dome tent and both disliked it very much. Next trip in 6wks for 3wks on the road and only staying in spots for max of 2 or 3 nights. Unfortunately living in a remote area is hard to go and compare so would like help in deciding on:
1. easy to use.
2. fast to put up and down
3. room - double swag and 2 thermorests, couple of clothes bags
4. space to get dressed without having to bent over double and stand on beds (if possible)??

Before children we camped anyhow with anything once child 1 came along camper trailer was purchased and so living out of the car and tent is a new experience all over again!

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Boags
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WheelTravel - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:01

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:01
The Oztent is as good as tents get. Althoght it is bulky and you will probably need to store it on roof racks. It is long and skinny when folded up(about 2 metres), but it really does go up in 30seconds. Puts away in about 2 minutes. Has heaps of windows, is tough and durable.

Get the RV4 and you will have enuf room. Get the zip on side panels as we have done and you will have more than enuf! Although then your talking over a grand for a tent!

We have absolutely no regrets, and are the envy of anybody nearby when we arrive at camp. You husband should like that! It's a great conversation starter as people staregoggle eyed at how you got your tent up 1 minute after turning your engine off!

Don't be afraid to haggle, I got $100 off and a $70 chair with my RV3 and side panels!

Hope this helps!

Cheers
AnswerID: 119773

Reply By: Wizard1 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:24

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:24
Every product has a compromise. I looked at the Oztent until I saw the price, the reason is that it is made of canvas.

Heavy and bulky
Slow to dry out
Susceptible to mold if not dried out prior to strorage

We have a Sportiva Odyssey, bought it a few years back. Wife and I had the time down to 10 minutes to get up. Stores in a bag the size of a large travel bag.

We still have it as there are times we will setup few a few days and need the room.

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast

AnswerID: 119776

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 18:52
Are you saying the Sportiva Odyssey wont go mouldy?
Is that the big ginormous tent you can park your car in the front section, if yes, we have had one. Now have the Oztent RV3, best decision we ever made. Have you tried putting the Odyssey up in 30mph winds?
No comparison. Cheers Peter and Lez
FollowupID: 375060

Reply By: JohnJan - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:39

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 14:39
Boags,
I presume you are talking about the Oztent and not the Black Wolf tent which is also promotted as a 30 second tent.
The new version of the Oztent is now made of a lighter material and is no longer heavy and slow to dry out as the older ones. It's still tough though. We have just bought an RV3 but the RV4 would be a good size for you I think. The side zip on walls would be helpful. Contact Oztent in Sydney for distributors as the tents are in high demand and not easy to get.
AnswerID: 119778

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:30

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:30
Have a look at the Coleman Classic

Just don't worry about putting the awning at the front up or the ropes for 99% of the time.
We use a similar type (we bought it second hand). Two poles outside four pegs and she's up in a few minutes by myself (while the missus looks after our 7 months old ant 7 year old!). And NO CENTRE POLE! ;-)

AnswerID: 119798

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:16

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:16
Boags, get your husband to read this.

If she wants a particular one, let her get it. In life you have to please number one, and then when she's happy, see what you can do for yourself. Rus.
AnswerID: 119807

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:23

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:23
Rus,

lol, exceptional advice Rus.

Boags, I've got the RV3 oztent and can't rate it high enough (and Number One reckons it's OK too...:-)

Browny
FollowupID: 374883

Reply By: Jason B - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:52

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:52
G'day Guy's & Girls,

We ended up getting the Blackwolf Turbo 2.4 Tent, at the time thier wasn't much on offer and it was the quickest to set up that we looked at (I don't like setting up tents, but the Pretty one wanted a tent and not my old faithfull sway BUGGAR).

Don't believe any one that says it will go up in 30 seconds. With the compulsory beer in one hand, it takes me (and the Pretty One if she likes) about 5 minutes to set up.

To it's credit, it did move threw a huge hail storm at Callopie and and monster of a thunder storm at Manor Park (I was glad I wasn't in the swag those nights, I'd did think the Pretty).

The other things I liked about it where, it fitted easly into the Rav 4 or the tray of the Hulux and it didn't have that the pole in the centre that some of the other bigger tents have.

I think you can get up to a 3 metre square tent if you like.

Hope it my comments help.

Regards,

Jason
AnswerID: 119814

Reply By: tiger60 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:16

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:16
G'day
Have tried various tents over the years and they all have their good and bad points, so there fore a compromise.
However aside from my double swag, i love the Oztent when the two billy lids come along camping, its as quick to put up as any and will dry very quickly even if that has to be at home or at another camp site at the end of the day. Only requirement is a roof rack as the oZtent is long.
Tiger60
AnswerID: 119822

Reply By: tiger60 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:20

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:20
Just a further qualification to my previous response,: when i mention OZtent i mean the 30 second Oztent is the go.
AnswerID: 119825

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:03

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:03
The Oztent would have to be one of the few products that I have purchased in many years that actually does as it claims.
Not cheap and you really need a roof rack to carry them. Worth every cent when something works!

Cheers.
AnswerID: 119901

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:20

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:20
G'day Boags, (now I'm thirsty)

you mentioned two tents. I can recommend the Oztrail if your budget is a bit restricted. An excellent canvas touring tent with HEAPS of room inside. I have the Tourer 10 plus. My wife stays home with the youngest for now but I have no probs fitting the other three (2, 3.5, 6.5) and me and gear with room for heaps more. No prob with headroom. Excellent stable and dry shelter which takes me about 3 mins to set up on my own with a shadecloth underneath for extra protection for the floor and a partial moisture barrier. You need to think about where it will be stowed. Others have mentioned the Oztent length and using roof racks. The Oztrail 10 packs up square. For some this might still mean up on the roof she goes but for me, I have a 90 Prado and this suits me well, it simply goes in last standing up, so it is the first thing out. Very happy with it.
AnswerID: 119907

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:39

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:39
At the recent 4WD show we saw the new and improved Oztents, we didnt think they could get much better but they have. We were lucky and got a second hand "only used once" tent with one side panel. The price was right and we have been very happy with it. As above quick to get up and down the only downside is its long and would fit better on top for most I think. It fits in or out the Troopy depending on what else we are taking. I would definitely get the side panels for the extra room with littles in case of bad weather. Happy Travelling. Carolyn
AnswerID: 119915

Reply By: ERROL - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:04

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:04
You can't beat the 30sc. OZ TENT. Errol
AnswerID: 119918

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:43

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:43
Oz tent by a country mile.......

With the optional sidepanels they are reasonably spacious(2 x 2m inside, and 2 x 2m covered outside, with a further 2 x 1.8 m awning), and the ability to stand up is something that you will appreciate after being in a car all day. Later on it is possible to buy a second one (as the kids grow up) and set them up facing each other with a 4 x 2m "common area" between the two bedrooms
AnswerID: 119922

Reply By: Willykj - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 21:16
Hi Boags,

I want to put a vote in for the Black Wolf "Turbo Tent". Best purchase we ever made.
Originally wanted an Oztent but having to put it on the roof made it a non starter for me. We bought a Turbo Tent for a trip to Cape York last year for a couple of months. Used it for that time & put it up & down so many times without any problems. Very quick & easy & for us the packed up package fits across the vehicle behind the front seats.

Used it recently for a 4 day weekend trip with a group & everyone was amazed at the ease & its practicality.

Just another option
Willy
AnswerID: 120040

Sponsored Links