OME SUSPENSION

Submitted: Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:16
ThreadID: 24618 Views:5650 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a new 3.0 ltr GU Patrol and I am looking at fitting an aftermarket suspension kit in particular OME. In the past I have heard various stories about OME kits..some good some bad. The vehicle will be carrying a reasonably heavy load with gear accessories etc. I am interested in feedback/suggestions from anyone who might be able to shed some light.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:24

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:24
TJ, I have no personal experience with OME, but I'm likely to install it on my 05 'Lux, having discussed it with a couple of people who 'should know'. Like you I will be well loaded up, particularly when I add the ball weight of the CT. I'm therefore likely to add air bags to the rear as well as the OME. Prefer the Firestone to the Polyairs as they seem to be a bit tougher, but I believe both are good. Others with experience with this set up can give better advice, but after my own research, it is my preferred direction at the moment.
AnswerID: 119795

Follow Up By: macka - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:54

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:54
Hi..... 2002 3ltr.. OME Progressive Springs We find good...Great improvement.. Shockers I don't like..
Towing 2.5 ton. Off Road Caravan.
Macka
FollowupID: 374962

Reply By: jeremy - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:11

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:11
Hey TJ,
i`ve got a 2002 3lt GU and fitted a OME 2 INCH lift kit at Christmas before a high country trip around Dargo.Myself personally i was disappointed with the standard Patrols ride,a bit too firm unloaded around town and on country roads.But on fitting new OME springs and shocks the ride improved considerably,i asked for a comfortable ride and even though it still rides firmer than my mates L/Cruiser i`m happy and found a big improvement in clearance offroad especially over those High country erosion mounds and less stress due to the fact nothing scraping or damage underneath.Its still handles a load easily.....ie 3kids, engel fride and camper trailer.Ome have 2 sets of shocks ,one being valved softer than the other.......i`d recommend them as they are easily replaced anywhere in AUS and are designed for our conditions.......some big name brands are susceptable to stone damage.........stick with the Aussie product,regards Jeremy
AnswerID: 119805

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:38

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:38
Hi TJ,

We have a 2004 GU 3.0 ltr manual patrol, and installed a 2 inch OME lift kit.

We went for the medium setting based on pulling a camper trailer, 3 kids in the back and waeco fridge in the cargo area.

We were advised that the caster bushes were a must with this size lift to correct the front wheel camber.

My experience has been:

-The ride is 100% better than original suspension.
-Asboslutely no uneven wear on front tyres after caster bushes installed.
- Heaps of ground clearance
- Would highly recommend this setup as a compromise package for a vehicle that is 70% on road, and 30% weekend warrior
- I know it is a quick way to spend over $1,000, but well worth it if you plan to use the vehicle as a 4x4

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 119813

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 22:34

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 22:34
so far on my GQ I have run
Koni
TJM
Rancho
OME - LTR's

.... OMEs are great. No probs thru murray sunset, numerous trips up highcountry, and surrounds.

I would rather konis but the $$ werent there at the time I needed to throw the Ranchos in the bin.
AnswerID: 119887

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:33

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:33
I have owned 5 Patrols,the current one is the 3.0 litre Diesel.
On these vehicles I have alternated between Lovells,Dobinson and ARB.
My under house is littered with springs of different rates in an attempt to make the Patrols ride better.
The fact is that the axles are just so heavy( this is why competition drivers favour these vehicles) that high spring rates are required to keep them under control.
In addition the steel wheels also add to the axle weights.
This is the reason that 80 series Toyota ride better than the patrol,but who wants hilux diffs or aluminium wheels?
Anyway to the springs and shocks,on a Canning stock route trip there were Konis,Ironman and OME,only the OME lasted the trip with no leaks,broken eyelets or seizing up.
As to the springs I believe ARB has engineered the best system, which works on the combination of spring and shock to give the best result.
Other spring makers just import their shocks and rebrand them,ARB has them made to their valving requirements.
You will always have the problem of hard ride when empty but the ARB springs control the vehicle well under all conditions.
Air bags have there followers but in my opinion the correct spring is the answer.
Regards
AnswerID: 119921

Reply By: Corn - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 18:10

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 18:10
Hiya TJ

I have a 2001 4.8 wagon and had OME springs and shocks fitted. I have gone for a medium front spring and a heavy duty back setup. Medium front cause I have an alloy bar and no winch. Unloaded the ride is a bit hard but with the kids and camping gear in the back the ride is superb and long trips become a pleasure. The bushes were also replaced with ARB items to correct the angles and tyre wear has been even all round for the last 20000km's. Handling also seemed to be 100% better than the original setup. I'm yet to find an ARB product that does not live up to expectations.
AnswerID: 120001

Reply By: TJ HACH - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 20:22
Thanks for all the advice I have received, it certainly has been useful.

TJ
AnswerID: 120022

Sponsored Links