This sounds kewl

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 14:46
ThreadID: 24648 Views:1554 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
4WD
WEEKEND in WHYALLA

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but going to see if our club is keen on heading across. Sounds like real fun!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael Carey - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 16:14

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 16:14
I should probably go to this as it's only a couple hours drive north of me. Sounds like it should be a fun weekend.....
AnswerID: 119978

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 18:50

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 18:50
Hi Truckster,

Yes, this is a highlight of the 4WD calendar in South Oz. I went with my club last year and had an absolute ball.

Whyalla is surrounded by miles and miles of saltbush plains and scrub that is great for 4WDing and has lots of hills around as well. Those sorts of rocky outcrops that the mining companies love. There is also an old quarry that has some real challenges for those that need to prove something.

The organisers do a fantastic job of having lots of daytrips to go on over the 3 days. The Cook's Hill one was a bit of a challenge as it gooes up a rocky hill that is the highest point in the district. Great views from the top. A tour of the Steelworks is also available.

Another highlight for me was the Night GPS Navigation run. With all that land out there which is literally criss-croosed with tracks it is easy to get lost. Basically they have about 20 points set out with a star stake at each. You have to find and visit each one (by GPS in total darkness!) and get a letter off each post. This spells a word. Teams leave at 10 min intervals at about 8pm and some teams were still out there at 2am. The year before it was wet which made it even harder in the red clay mud....

As for facilities, it is at the Whyalla showground which has a huge powered camp area used by all the show people. Great base for the weekend.

Well organised and lots of fun. Highly recommended. See you there!

Muddy
AnswerID: 120006

Sponsored Links