Running Steel & Alloy Wheel on same axle.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:01
ThreadID: 24677 Views:2671 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I am wanting to balance up some wear on tyres and am looking at running a standard Landcruiser 80s steel wheel on the same axle as an aftermarket alloy (rear axle). I have measured the diameter of the tyres and they are approx the same (ie same wear), same tyre brand and tread etc.

Is the weight difference likely to present any problems?

Incidently I had been running a new set of tyres on the front and a worn set on the rear, and was getting some diff "whine". Upon measuring them the diameter on the new set was greater by 60 - 70mm. Lucky I found this before I buggered it. My mechanic said that any tyre fitter should be hung for fitting only two new tyres to a constant 4WD vehicle.

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
The Pelican

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:11
2-3 inches bigger on the front and you didnt notice?
AnswerID: 120121

Follow Up By: The Pelican - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:30

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:30
I did notice the difference in size, but given my lack of understanding of the effect this would have, and lack of advice from someone who should of known better, I assumed (I know you should never assume) that given it doesnt have a centre diff lock that it wouldnt be a problem.
I suppose you sometimes learn the hard way.
Now I am fully wearing out all my old tyres before going in for another two new ones.
Cheers
The Pelican
FollowupID: 375160

Follow Up By: The Pelican - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:38

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:38
Also Truckster the 70 odd mm difference was in circumference, not diameter so not as noticable as you might think.
FollowupID: 375164

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:17

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:17
Hi, The Pelican
If I were you I would go and buy a new set of tyres now and keep two of the old ones as spares one with near new tread and one half worn. Some tyre places will trade in your old ones.
You should then find that your truck is much nicer to drive and will corner better.
I have seen far to many constant 4x4 trucks and cars ( some high perfomance cars at that ) with miss matched tyres, you would have thought that the tyre companies would have learnt by now.
Ray
AnswerID: 120160

Reply By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:59
Gidday Pelican,

I would NOT mix a Mag and a steel wheel on the same axle. I am not a mechanic or anything - it just sounds wrong to me I would not do it on any of my vehicles. I know some mag-wheeled cars have steel spares - they advise you not to travel far on the spare (even though the tyres are same size) and get the original wheel back on asap.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 120324

Sponsored Links