Good Deisel Mechanic Perth W.A

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:55
ThreadID: 24688 Views:3034 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Gday to all
Would like to know if someone can give advice on a good deisel mechanic, I have a good mate who has a 2.4 turbo deisel hilux surf it had a radiator failure and SWMBO kept driving it for an undisclosed distance, did her shoping and then took it to the garage,
The radiator was repaired with funds available and car taken home. Parked up waiting for more funds. The thing's we know are wrong with it is the water pump is shagged from runnig dry, the car also is very sluggish and blow lots of black smoke, i belive the turbo was leaking oil before this and believe this is not good. He is now wondering.
a) how long it was driven while hot and how hot did it get
b) what other terminal damage was done
c)does anyone know a good maechanic to give an honest quote or be able to tell him of the possible problems and cost
Any help of knowledge would be much appreciated and thank everyone in advance for there answers.
Derraux
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:45
Can’t recommend a diesel mechanic, But I have had experience with palazzo Automotives. Located in the city, Opposite Oxford Engines on William Street.

They handle all cars and they will and can do Diesel’s, it has been 4 years since I have dealt with them but they seemed like a good outfit.

The good news from what you have written is that it has not done a head or head gasket (Is there any oil in the radiator or has the engine oil gone all murky) if so you have a problem.

It is possible that there may also be some bearing damage depending on how hot it got.
AnswerID: 120207

Follow Up By: derraux - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:10

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:10
Thank's for your reply i don't get to see the car till saturday but will look for thing's like that when i look at it. thanks
Derraux
FollowupID: 375263

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:05
If it was overheated to the point where the water pump gave up from not pumping water I am surprised it still goes but as a minimum it would almost certainly have a cracked head and I would be surprised if it isnt a bin job
AnswerID: 120253

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 00:36

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 00:36
Being an imported car, parts may be a problem. Probabaly a bin job as stated above, and look for a second hander. Theres a mob in Bayswater, can't remember the name right now, AGF or something, who import second hand motors, boxes and bits from japan.
AnswerID: 120279

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:52

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:52
It is AGI they are on collier road ask for Dirk or Adrian tell them Marty Hatt told you about them they will be able to help you out. Also being a Surf i can virtually guarantee that it has cracked the head they are renowned for it.
FollowupID: 375324

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:05

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:05
You shouldn't have any problems with pats, these motors are as common as mud in oz. Plenty of them get blown to the crap house just like you described too so there are plenty of people expereinced in fixing them, however it won't be cheap, in fact it'll be very expesnisve and from the sounds of it the head is now poo, you can use the 2.8L (3L) hilux heads on the 2L-TE motor but there is some modification. There are yahoo surf group, couple of guys with experience doing it themselves, they'll probally be a good source of info.
FollowupID: 375362

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:11

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:11
"Also being a Surf i can virtually guarantee that it has cracked the head they are renowned for it."

LMAO, Martin tell me a ANY EFI Diesel that you can drive around with no coolant in the rad that won't crack a head!

These types of people are what give the surf a reputation for cracking heads. They are cheap to buy so people who "want to go 4wding one day" buy them as a first or second car with no idea about how to treat a vechicle, ned alone a diesel and kill the poor thing then go, "bloody surfs".

Sure the 2.4L (2L-TE) engine had a problem with a weak head (just like the 3.0L V6 Ozzie 4 Runner of the same vintage). But they were recalled for the most part. The majour source of cracking heads in Toyotas is the fact that their tempture guages are poo and don't tell you the motor's hot until half of the motor is going out the exaust pipe as molten larva!

I'm sure any toyota driver who's had a hot engine can verify that. Mine's like that, the guage reads half, half, half, half, half then you look away to pick your nose and by the time you look back it's HOT HOT HOT, ARRRRHG!

FollowupID: 375363

Reply By: Member - Karl - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:27

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:27
Try TLC - they are on Stockdale Rd O'Connor - all they do are Toyotas - Cruisers, Hiluxs, Surfs locals and imported. Very good customer service and knowledge.

Their phone No is (08) 9314 3714. I take my Cruiser to them for all of my servicing and repair work.
AnswerID: 120316

Reply By: Member - Peter (1) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 18:28

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 18:28
G'day Derraux,
Another Service Centre you can try is Robson Brothers, 7 Charles St. Bentley, phone 9358 1441.
All they service is 4 Wheel Drives, diesels, petrol or gas, and should be able to let you know what are the best options. I have trusted them to service my trusty beast since 1996 and have had no problems.
Regards, Peter (1)
It doesn't get any better than this!!!
Peter (1)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120385

Follow Up By: Dan - Friday, Aug 12, 2005 at 14:36

Friday, Aug 12, 2005 at 14:36
hi Peter, i see you have an intercooler on your rodeo, im looking at putting one on mine.
where abouts did you get it done? and roughly how much?
Im in Albany btw
regards
Dan
FollowupID: 379769

Sponsored Links