Little Desert National Park

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 00:01
ThreadID: 24706 Views:1745 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have tried to do a search but it is a bit hard because there are so many hits on "desert" that it becomes a bit of a mess.

I am planning on a couple of nights there this weekend and would appreciate any advice regarding conditions etc and any "must sees" etc.

Probably coming in relatively late from Adelaide so looking at either East West Dam or Broughton's Waterhole for Friday night then wherever we end up for Sat. Anyone any comments on the relative merits of those 2 spots would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:39

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:39
Info regarding most parks in Australia can be accessed via government pages. www.environment.vic.gov.au will get the vic sites. .sa will get sa sites and so on. To go direct to Little Desert National park try this. www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm To get that under line thingy press caps lock otherwise you'll get - not _ . Rus.
AnswerID: 120288

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:57

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:57
Go in via Dimboola the nat park camping spot is only a couple of kays past the entrance on the Wimmera river.
Great Camping at Horshoe Bent with toilets & water.
Co-ordinates 36-29.965 S 142-01.004 E
And if Dimboola has their play running make sure you go.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120309

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:56

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:56
Should be good Trev, with the rain maybe a few wet claypan areas. Broughtons ok for an overnight stop and there should be water in the dam, no facilities and a wee bit of firewood around. Have a look at stans camp and the salt lake. In the eastern block camping is allowerd only in the official camps so Kiata is the go there, huge grassed campsite, toilets and water. There are a few notes on EO
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WestVic/Little_Desert.asp
AnswerID: 120322

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:49

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:49
Trev I found the Little Desert a bit featureless with very few views, no challenging tracks, minimal wildlife & ordinary campsites. Unless you're into tiny orchards or following the old gold transport route, there is much more of everything to see up in the Wyperfeld National Park.
If you have your heart set on the little desert then stop in at Westprint maps in Nhill as they know everything about the area & have plenty of books on the flora, fauna & history.
www.westprint.com.au
Cheers Craig...............

AnswerID: 120428

Reply By: Casnat - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 22:52

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 22:52
Thanks for all the responses.

Will have a look around and will keep Wyperfeld in my back pocket as plan B if we run out of things to do.

Will probably spend most of the weekend trying to dry stuff out.....but what the hey!

Cheers
Trevor
AnswerID: 120437

Sponsored Links