L/C 100 Brake Controller

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:18
ThreadID: 24732 Views:1852 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Where on my L/C 100 can one fit a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. Under the dash on the drivers side there doesn't seem to be any component one can mount the brackets onto.
There is no doubt an easy answer but I am not seeing it so far. With so many L/C's towing, dumb me can't see the wood for thr trees, please help.
Regards
KEN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:31

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:31
I have one fitted into the ashtray just above the centre console. I had it done by an auto electrician and he pulled out the ashtray, cut it down at the back and wherever else it needed a trim, screwed the break controller onto the ashtray, and it all slides back into the hole nicely. Can't take a picture of it as the car is still on holidays in the Kimberley .... (lucky thing).
Andrew
AnswerID: 120423

Reply By: Member - Jim C (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 22:38

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 22:38
I fitted one in to the ash tray by accurately cutting a piece of 3 mm plywood so that it would snugly slide into the ashtray track. I then painted it with glossy paint and when dry stuck some velcro tape to both the Tekonsha and the plywood. I had an auto electrician complete the wiring so that I can slide the Tekonsha in/out and plug the electrics together. Works perfectly.

Jim C
AnswerID: 120435

Reply By: Grumblebum and Dragon (WA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 00:41

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 00:41
I have the Prodigy model (bought after a bit of negative comments on some forums on the Voyager wont fit in the ashtray but lives just at the bottom of the dash near the left knee.

If I recall the probs with the Voyager were to do with it intermittantly putting on brake lights.

May have only been a problem with a few units. The Prodigy is brilliant - except it won't fit in the dam ashtray

Regards GB
AnswerID: 120446

Reply By: nevandpat - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:19

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:19
Hi Ken,
I have a Voyager fitted to my 100L/C and it is just to the left of the steering column.
They will work on quite a steep angle and I have had no problems with its opperation and it is quite handy should you need to use the manual brakeing facility.
Cheers, Nev.
AnswerID: 120466

Reply By: OMN - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:26

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:26
I just had one fitted and it is on the left side of the steering wheel under the dash. Fits neatly, doesnt tocuh my knee at all and i can see what boost it is on if need be plus can use the manual braking or increase the boost very simply.

I thgink the model i got was the Prodigy, it was whicever was the slightly more expensive and from memeory the Voyager was slightly cheaper.

Every one i spoke to said the same thign both are good but this one is the cream of the crop, and was about $100 more.

Works great the few times i have been lucky enough to use it.

Mark
AnswerID: 120473

Reply By: Member - Graham P (QLD) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 20:41

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 20:41
I fitted mine about one o'clock on the center console, the switches for air pump and rear locker are under and in front of the brake controller.
(Where's one o'clock? consider dash 12 driver 3 o;clock)

Graham P
AnswerID: 120557

Reply By: mattandlana - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 21:53

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 21:53
I mounted ours permanently by screws in the ashtray hole as described above. Have to take the console out first. Here's the trick - it all just pops out if you do it in the right order. No screws at all! (Spend hours searching for the hidden screws that weren't there!) Start with the drink holder to rear of gearlever then just tug away, working your way forward until you have freed up the bit with the ashtray in it. Nervy though.

Only problem with ours is that it slopes slightly up to the front so when accelerating uphill it can give a brief error message saying it's on too much of a back-down incline. Have to get around to taking it out and shimming the forward edge of the bracket to level it out.
AnswerID: 120572

Reply By: blackmax11 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 21:17

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 21:17
thanks to all. I would never have thought of the ash tray as the ideal location.

Anyhow I have aquired a second ash tray, cut the front out and fitted the controller. It fits exactly for width. I used contact adhesive to make it one. I intend to fit a four pin conector so I can set up when required. Other than that I just have the standard ash tray in place.

Great arrangement as far as I am concerned. It all works and looks great.
Thanks again for thr advice
KEN
AnswerID: 120686

Sponsored Links