Aircon Bearing - 80 Series

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 23:34
ThreadID: 24735 Views:2517 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Has anybody changed the bearing in the aircon clutch on an 80 series 4500.

Mine is buggered, so much that the pulley is flapping around axially and radially. However the shaft is ok, so the a/c compressor itself is ok too.

I am trying to do it in the vehicle, so need to know what is involved in stripdown, special tools (somebody mentioned it has to be pushed off with a left hand threaded bolt puller screwed into the clutch and pushed against the a/c shaft)

Any help would be appreciated, my local a/c bloke wants $375 to fit new brg plus extra to re-gas the system. The brg is only $20ish, so money has to be saved!

Thanks
Beast o' Bodmin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:08

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:08
Most of them are dead easy to change with the pulley off and there lies your problem you need a special puller they are cost prohibitive. Take it to some one and they will change it exchange if the guy is a good bloke and don't try and get you for a whole new compressor. Think it was around 4120 exchange from memory. make sure it's not just the idler pulley they are bleep easy and cheap.
AnswerID: 120457

Reply By: cokeaddict - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:20

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:20
I copied and pasted this months ago in relation to doing just that. This was done for a GQ, but im pretty sure they are if not the same, very similar.
Hope this helps....
Ange

Air Con Bearing Replacement

1 - Remove radiator shroud or better still radiator
2 - There are 3x 6mm threads in front pulley
3 – Remove 10mm head nut in middle in middle of clutch assembly.
4 - Attach a pully remover then pull off front cover plate, the pulley itself will remain on compressor
5 - Remove circlip from behind this plate,then the pulley itself should come off by hand then just knock out bearing and refit.
Whole job should take around 1-1.5 hours. Compressor does NOT need to be removed.

Bearing itself should cost around $48.00 to $78.00 So shop around for best price.
AnswerID: 120478

Sponsored Links