Petrol and Diesel

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2474 Views:1875 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
So from another thread, guy asked for fuel figures on PETROLS everyone submits DIESEL !!

So, what do you have -->> Petrol, Diesel, LPG, Bio??

I run Std pump Diesel with Nulon Diesel injector cleaner in each tank. Yes I find it works
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jarrod - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Truckster, Was wondering what effect, if any, Diesel conditioners/additives you are using are having? I have a 1990 GQ LWB 4.2 totally stock engine (finer filters) 188,000 on the clock. Have been wondering about additives and one Diesel tuning guy told me that some of these additives can in fact move nasties from the tank to the injectors causing probs there ? From the last 12 months my econ. figures (taken from date,location,brand,cost,odo,litres then calculate ltrs per 100k. from about 40 fills in the last 12 months, i have found average of 11.2 litres per 100 (mostly round town) best ever 9.8, (Princes highway, Nth of Sydney to Orbost on one tank! 817 klm, truck loaded up camping gear, NO roof rack) worst ever 14.2 - 90%offroad/dirt, fully loaded.

The other thing is - having noted brand of supplier (diesel) I note that in most cases, whilst Safeway fuel/independants is sometimes cheaper, I never seem to get the economy I do with the biggies in particular Shell. (No I dont work there!) ??

Regards,
Jarrod.
AnswerID: 9040

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

after around a hour of driving the car felt better... smoother, and a little more responsive.

Also for that first hour, it was a little sootyer than normal out the back, so I think it was cleaning something!

For the $10 a bottle, it seems ok to me, you dont need much.

Nobody Ive spoken to gets good economy from Safeway etc diesel fuel, doesnt really make sense, but Im betting its full of crap not 'real' diesel.. there was discussion on patrol list 6-8 monts ago on this, with the price savings...

I worked for Caltex in the IT dept, and talk to a few mates from the Plant that does diesel.. they say that would be the reason, dodgey additives to make it go further.

YMMV.
FollowupID: 4516

Follow Up By: Member - Graham - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Truckster I concure, after spending alot of time on the road traveling up north WA & having a small fleet, I've tried most fuel treatments out there, the nulon was very cost effective as cents/km goes & buying 20lt's of the diesel conditioner at a time. @ up to 7000ks/wk a small saving adds up.
I got put onto Redline about 12 mths ago & still use today, i use redline RL2 which treats 1200lt/$30.00 and fuel consuption remained unchanged.
As for fuel co's I've had good & bad with them all, on av no prob but after couple of hundred ks, couple of filters (3) what do you do with the 800lt's left that wants to be a problem?
FollowupID: 4519

Reply By: crowie - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

My vehicle: Patrol 3.0TID. I use a fiel additive called Chemtech "Diesel Power". One litre costs $35.00 (in Canberra) and will treat 4000L. Based on that I put 25mil. in the main tank (95L) & 5mil in the reserve tank every second fill. It is meant to dissolve gum and varnish, control algae, disperse wate dropletsr and reduce diesel smoke. In doing this it cleans the injectors and the fuel lines.

I reckon I get about an extra litre per 100 ks when using it using it. For example on a recent trip from Canberra to Walgett and return + three days city driving, the Patrol returned 10.13 ltr x 100ks using the additive only for the first fill and not when i topped up for the return. This compares with a similar trips without the additive where I have constantly averaged about 11.1ltr X100ks. I have read several independent articles in magazines which recommend these additives for diesel vehicles. I add it for engine maintanance reasons and not for any fuel saving it might produce.

One the subject of fuel, I prefere Shell because the Patrol definiatly runs better using it. The cetane number(similar to octane rating for petrol) for Shell Diesel is a guaranteed 49 and said to be over 50 and thats the reason why. The Australian standard is 45. I would'nt touch the cheapie brands. They may comply with the standards but are usually a lower grade, more like heating diesel and contain less of the additives that the established oil companies use to protect you moter. It's the diference between using normal unleaded and premium in petrol vehicles.

Spend a little more for fuel it will pay in the long run.

AnswerID: 9060

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00
how about a few others post what sort of vehicle they drive.

Petrol

or

diesel

or

lpg

or

Bio-Diesel

or other!!!
AnswerID: 9082

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster, The Better Half & I have 97 Tojo Multi-valve turbo wagon, manual. For work, have 2 79 series and 3L D/cab Hilux. Use Shell diesel exclusively, except on hols when usually stick with major brands. have tried Chemtech Diesel Power over the years, and it's good to stop that black smoke pouring out of exhaust. Can't comment on its effect on economy. Supposed to be good after getting a tank of dirty fuel, to clean lines etc.

Don't do many checks on economy, but work on about 7km/l for the L/cruisers, not sure about the hilux. Seven of us went into Winton(Q), for a course earlier this year, and took 79 ute and hilux. When filled up at home the 79 series took 96 L and Hilux took 92 L for 470 kms.
The 79 series tojo's don't get as good economy as 75's, range is down about 100kms per tank. Used to comfortably get 500k out of tank in 75's, the 79's are often near empty at just over 400km. That's the payoff for bit more grunt, I suppose. The turbo utes are reported to be better on fuel, at similar speeds.

On our wagon we've put a 166L long range tank, good from Winton to Brisbane. Miss the social intercourse at servos, because we never have to pull up. well, except for refreshment and tree stops. Also have a 3" exhaust, which improved economy a little, and it certainly pulls better in hilly country.

What was the new Nissan like? Catch you later...

PS Truckster, have a Hino genset here that chews about 6L/hr...
AnswerID: 9104

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00
Whadda mean "everyone submits DIESEL"?

The 3 litre motor in the GQ Patrol was a Petrol motor. Not too many diesels have carbys either :)

I think it's not a bad engine either - if driven well it will use less petrol than the 4.2, although you can certainly make it use more if you drop down a gear and use it's full rev range.

When it dies (an it's not showing any signs of age at 260,000 km) I'll probably replace it with a V8 Diesel, for the economy and torque.
AnswerID: 9164

Sponsored Links