City Maps or OziExplorer

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:10
ThreadID: 24765 Views:3290 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HI,

I have recently purchased a GPS and am looking for suitable city maps for use with Ozi.

Has anyone purchased the six cities CDROM from UBD and can it be used?

What other available options are there.

Thanks

Paj
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:47

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:47
Th UBD Six Cities CD is not a raster map and therefore can not be viewed in OziExplorer.

UBD uses the Sensis WhereIs map set which is a vector map and POI database. Versions of this map set are available for use directly on various GPS units, such as Garmin and Navman. But the six cities CD can not be used that way either (I believe).

There are maps CDs available for some cities including Sysdney & Melbourne. The one I use often is StreetExpress which covers the Perth metro area.
AnswerID: 120616

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:55

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:55
Sort of, you can do some screen capture of the areas needed and then calibrate them, not for the squeamish but it is a feature of OziExplorer. I did a few of Melbourne earlier this year. They were ok but I finished up buying the Navman Pin GPS/PDA which has UBD type street maps for the whole of Australia. I have never regretted that decision.

Russell
AnswerID: 120618

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 10:47

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 10:47
Hello - from your post it is difficult to determine if you just want city maps or any maps? Are you using GPS with a PC or PDA? Please clarify. Some purpose built PDA's have all streets of all cities but dta cannot be used on PC (I dont think). As mentioned UBD is unsuitable (as is) - there is no single product available that I know off that covers all of city's that can be used with OziExplorer - there are several individual products such as - Streetsmart for Perth
StreetSmart (as mention by Pluto),

Fullers for Adelaide Fullers

There is also Ausway - Melway and Sydway Brisway Maps Maptrax

Hope this helps
Cheers
Greg

AnswerID: 120628

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:03

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:03
also ....if you are chasing just any maps for OziExplorer here is a good place to start...

OziE Australia Page

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 375713

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:05

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:05
woops...though best you try here first

Exploroz Digital Maps

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 375714

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 13:46

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 13:46
And also not forgetting ExplorOz PlotSwap Digital maps produced on the fly using OziExplorer plt and wpt files see PlotSwap. You can drive anywhere you like and produce a calibrated (Georeferenced) map for use in OziExplorer for free.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 375734

Reply By: paj - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:10
Thanks everyone,

Cheers

Paj
AnswerID: 121217