reversing cameras

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 16:52
ThreadID: 24775 Views:1806 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
anyone fitted one of these to their 4WD? if so was it worth it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul - OzRoamer Camper Trailer - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:01

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:01
I had one installed by Polaris in Sydney last year and I have to say it was worth the $499.

I still turn around at times when reversing but the screen gives you a good wide view and it is also great when picking the distance away fro the car or wall you are reversing towards.

Because I am always hitching trailers on I thought that if I hit the rear bar a few times it would cost more thab $499.00 to repair - now i can get within inches of the hitch without damaging the rear bar.

Worth every cent.
AnswerID: 120658

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 21:12

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 21:12
I fitted a Jaycar setup, with indash screen. Worth every cent, but I have a solid canopy. Photos in my photo album.

QC3452 Camera
QM3753 In dash screen

Look them up at www.jaycar.com.au

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 120681

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 00:03

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 00:03
We have them in the Merc Sprinter ambulances. They are great and if you had kids - or even if your neighbours kids ride up and down your footpath they'd be great.

The screen in ours is in a rear view mirror which is fitted over the original. It has two screens in it and only one is being used. Normally it looks like a mirror, when you hit reverse the screen comes on. Pretty schmick.

Dave
AnswerID: 120712

Reply By: S&N - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 00:48

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 00:48
is that a standard fitting or did you put the mirror thing in? where do i get one?
AnswerID: 120723

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:12

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:12
Craig you just missed out, I organised a deal on the Poron Infrared system for member on here, bought a number of them paid about $300 normally about $500.

Real good units, probably the best on the market do the job brilliantly can be wired as described above to come on when you hit reverse if you want.
Most of use just have them on permanently as De facto rear vision mirrors.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120726

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:01

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:01
Craig,

Sorry to take so long to reply, but i have only just got home from 6 weeks away.

I have fitted a camera to the roof rack of the Troopie, I don't take the roof rack off the vehicle, and it is great. I don't know how I ever got on before.

The way the Troopie is set up I can not see out the back and it didn't have a rear view mirror so I had to rely on the wing mirrors and this gave me a huge blind spot just behind the vehicle.

The camera is set up on the roof rack and the screen is bolted to the over head console in the same place the rear view mirror should be. I don't have it on all the time,only when reversing and when I am in traffic.

The wide angle takes a little getting used to and the vehicle behind is a lot closer than it appears in the screen. In fact I think it is so good I am going to get another camera for the front of the Troopie and just flick between the front and the back of the vehicle.

So far the camera and screen has survived the Canning and part of the Simpson. The rough roads don't seem to effect the camera and the screen vibrates but at this stage has not effected the screen.

Wayne
AnswerID: 120898

Sponsored Links