loose steering arm on troopy

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:00
ThreadID: 24795 Views:1657 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have a wobble in my steering arm. It was noticed via a clunk when going around corners. When the steering wheel is wobbled, where the two grease nipples are up the front, there is some movement in the join/bushes. There is a phillips head slot to adjust this, which is done by removing a split pin. I have adjusted them, which fixed the problem for 24 hours, and then it returned. I re-adjusted with the same result. Obviously do not want to overtighten. Anybody got any suggestions...Phil? You seem to be the man when it comes to this stuff on the troopy.

Thanks In advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:17

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:17
Those balljoints on each end of the relay rod are dismantlable on the 70series.

When reassembling, the plug on the end of the rod with the slot in it needs to be tightened, then backed off by just over a turn. Then the split pin put back in.

If you've done this and you still have a problem, then it needs to be dismantled and fixed.

Its all explained very clearly in the Gregorys workshop manuals. I think you need one. I scanned a diagram to my photo section.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 120763

Follow Up By: Trooper1080 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:56

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:56
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. Will do as instructed. I have the "Max Ellery's" vehicle repair manual, however it does not have anything reasonably simple like what you described. Nor where or how many grease nipples. It has how to take apart a diff, but that's not something I would attempt. I will scout around for a gregorys.

Just to clarify, Upon reassembly, I should tighten the slot as much as I can, and then back just over a turn. I haven't disassembled, so does this rule still apply. It has just become loose over time I guess.

I am just paranoid about steering lock up.

Thanks again...I really appreciate all your help.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 375841

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 14:28

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 14:28
I've got that Ellerys manual as well - some of the diagrams are good with a magnifying glass; and the text is often non-existant. The Gregory's is pretty user-friendly.

Yeah, tighten it up, then back it off between one and one and a third turns, is what the manual says, whether you've disassembled or not.

I think those joints like to be greased every 5k, and go loose if not.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 375847

Sponsored Links