Possible scam via ExplorOz 'Trader' adverts

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:49
ThreadID: 24796 Views:2581 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I recently listed my near new Yamaha generator in the ExplorOz trader section under the 'camping gear' heading.
It wasn't long before I had an answer from someone wishing to buy it. We agreed a price and I sent them my address and a pic of the unit.
Today, I received this email from the 'intending purchaser':-

"Thanks for the email in response to my inquiry on
your(Generator Yamaha EF1000is) for sale.I have contacted my client
concerning the description you gave me and the price
you are also offering to sell which he satisfied
with. Arrangement has
been made for the( Generator Yamaha EF1000is) to be paid for and the
Certified Cashier's Check of is $3,530 . will be
issued out to you.All you have to do to deduct the
cost which is is ,$1,030 .. and then you transfer
the remaining balance through Western Union Money
Transfer to the Shipping company who are to come for
the pickup and handle the shippment and
delivery.These balance is for the pickup,shipment
and delivery cost.All you have to do for payment
to be issued out
Full Name:
Address :
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Tel# Home,Cell and Work Phone numbers ........
So i'll be expecting to read from you with the
requested
informati on,so that the check can be sent out to
you as soon as
possible.
mr john"

Has anyone else experienced this type of situation please. Assuming it is a scam, I don't understand how they make any money out of it. I haven't been asked for Bank Account or credit card details.

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:57

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:57
They are offering to give you a cheque for the larger amount. If you ever got it, it would bounce. But you have to give them the refund by 'Western Union Money Transfer'. So you are out of pocket this amount, and possibly down your generator as well if they collect it.

It is a scam, been around for a while. Think it mostly operates out of Nigeria. Don't touch it.
AnswerID: 120760

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:39

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:39
Not just Nigeria - I operate an online business, and these requests also originate from Indonesia and Singapore. I've never had a legitimate business enquiry from Indonesia, about 1 in 10 Singapore sales is a fraud attempt.

*ANY* mention of Western Union is a red flag for fraud - there is never a legitimate reason for the seller of an item to have to wire the buyer money!

Also, *ANY* mention of them issuing a cheque for a greater amount is a dead giveaway for a scam. The usual line is "my assistant accidentally got a cheque for $1000 too much, I will forward the cheque if you could forward me the $1000 by Western Union". WU is great for sending money to a friend or relative overseas if you need to transfer cash (think birthday money to one of your kids working in the UK etc), but *never* use it for a transaction with a stranger, unless you're the person suggesting it. Sending money by Western Union is like giving someone cash - the moment it's collected by the recipient, it's gone.

I have seen this with eBay as well - someone wins your auction, then try and pull this stunt. They get the goods, AND a grand in cash, for the cost of a forged cheque. For every thousand people that tell them to p!ss off, one person will fall for it, which is what makes it worthwhile for them.
FollowupID: 375839

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:10

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:10
Email Dave the "buyers" info so he can ban them.

this is almost a thing where Dave should put a WARNING On the forsale pages.. this comes up weeekly lately
AnswerID: 120762

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:35

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:35
Ask them to post cash (USD) with the cheque up front so you know it's not a scam, then when the cheque bounces pay the dishonour fee out of the USD and keep the rest. Make sure the USD you require equates to more than the dishonour fee.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 375838

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:12

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:12
Hi Truckster,

There is a warning on the Trader home page...

See my reply below.

Regards,
Juliana.
ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 375976

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:31

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:31
Yup, kewl.
Interestingly enough, Ive never noticed it...

It maybe more adviseable to have that where the SUBMIT button is above the links.... just so it stands out like dogs balls on a flea.

YMMV
FollowupID: 375994

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:43

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:43
As Truckster said this is as common as on here and many other forums and electronic trading areas.
Email Dave and ignore it.

It sounds like those Nigerian letter scams, I get maybe 3 to 4 emails and 1 to 2 faxes per week offering me $38 million or whatever amount US Dollars if I provide them with my Bank account details. Just ignore them, thats life in the electronic world today.
They only win if someone responds.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120764

Reply By: motherhen - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 17:52

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 17:52
You get them whenever you advertise on Adventure Trader. Just ignore them. Motherhen
AnswerID: 120795

Reply By: Member - Brian R (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 19:17

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 19:17
Pass this on to the ACCC. They have had some success in catching some similar fraudsters on ebay.
AnswerID: 120811

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:24

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:24
The ACCC can't do anything if these people are overseas though.
FollowupID: 375965

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:33

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:33
LMAO ACCC cant do anything here either.

I like their quote when Coles etc with the fuel thing started

"oh there will always be enough competition in the fuel industry to keep prices competitive"...
Competitive with what? new luxury car prices?
FollowupID: 375995

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:14

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:14
Hi Dave,

We actually have the following warning about spammers on the trader home page:

Scam Alert
It has come to our attention that there are a number of scammers trying to use the trader system. Please be aware that we are doing all we can to stop this however be very careful in your dealings with people using free email accounts (such as hotmail and yahoo). You will also be able to identify these scammers as when you come to closing the sale they will advise that they want your personal details and/or will want to send payments via cheque for more than the sale amount, they will request that you write a cheque for the difference and give to them or a shiping company. DO NOT TAKE THESE DEALS instead please forward the email to info@exploroz.com and we will ban the account.

I have already banned this account this morning.

Regards,
Juliana
ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 120908

Sponsored Links