Camping on Fraser or Morton Island?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 21:35
ThreadID: 24818 Views:3378 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there i would like to know peoples thoughts on both Fraser and Morton Island.
We will be going away in the NSW school holidays in late september and cannot decide which island to visit. We will be travelleing with two children aged 7 and 9 and will have seven days to visit one of these islands. We would appreciate any comments on both islands. We will be camping and would love to hear about any special places to visit or stay at on either island.
We would prefer to camp in a spot with seclusion.
Has anyone had any bad experiences with Dingoes and children on Fraser Island?

Thanks in advance Chris and Kelly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nick R - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 22:48

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 22:48
Did fraser in january, seclusion wasn't a problem, about 8 groups in 80 Km of beach, plenty of other sites too.
plenty to see, just look at all the other posts
had our kids 5 and 7 with us, was a good opportunity to teach them about wild animals although it wasn't hard as our kids are used to animals. just follow the info the ranger will supply about what to do with food and rubish and how to act if a dingo approaches. at 7 and 9 you should have no problem
We had them wander through at night (we saw tracks in the morning)
If everyone follows the guidelines they shouldn't be much of a problem
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120859

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:08

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:08
Hi there I cant give much advice as Im going there myself on 1st oct 05
having said that now ,I will tell you to check out my post because I was asking the same sort of things and everyone has been great my thread no is 24764 I hope their advice might help you too ??

Regards JB.
FollowupID: 375974

Reply By: Member - Jezza (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 23:23

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 23:23
Hi Chris and Kelly,

We just got back from spending a few nights on Morton Island. Had a great time - pleasant, no fuss ferry trip over and back, heaps of places to camp - we stayed at Ben-Ewa campsite, shower, flush toilet and drinking water, highly recommend it. The kids (3 and 7) enjoyed the beaches, sand dunes and beautiful large freshwater lagoon (blue lagoon). We missed it, but you can catch the feeding of the dolphins at Tangalooma resort at about 6:00 every night. There is also a small general grocery store, service station and bait/camping/fishing/almost anything store.

Sorry but haven't been to Fraser so no comment on there.

Cheers,
Jezza
AnswerID: 120864

Reply By: Farside - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:14

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:14
Dear Chris and Kelly

A group of us haveeen going up to Fraser every September for the passed four years and this year is no exception. We have always enjoyed our selves. We normally camp at Dundabarra.

The only hassel in September is that the island is fairly busy with people (fishing and back packers), but we have always managed to find quiet sections. We have not had any hassels ith Dingos and this year our son will be 16 months and just leaning how to walk so we just have to be sensible.

As long as the weed stays away the fishing is great. Find a good map and go exploring there are heaps of places to visit.

We have only been to Morton once and found is much quieter, yet still very pretty and camping on the beach under the trees is very nice.

Enjoy

Angus
AnswerID: 120880

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:47

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:47
On Fraser, and in regard to dingoes and children, there has been the well publicised instance a few years ago. As in all cases with dingoes around be careful. Management policy has changed on the island to lessen the problem. But for the 6 or more times we have been to fraser, never had a problem with dingoes, but they are inquisitive animals, and can be quite brazen at times looking for food. So can magpies, kookaburras and goanas. Wife has been bitten feeding a "cute & cuddly" but wild possum in Nth Qld. She should have known better.

Comparing the two islands. Moreton is smaller, less dramatic in that it doesn't have the big satanay stands, or the range of fresh water lakes. Big advantage for us is that Moreton is closer to Brisy, where we live.

If you have 7 days, go to Fraser. Bit of driving to do though to see the sights, but time it to suit the low tide on the beaches. In 7 days you will have high tide in the middle of the day for a couple of days, so visit the inland Fraser or veg out. We average 20 to 30km/hr on the inland tracks. Ocassionally see 4th gear, but mostly 2nd and 3rd, with occasional 1st.

There is plenty of info in other postings, trek notes and the Nat parks web site on what to see.
AnswerID: 120888

Reply By: mid life - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:55

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:55
Hi cobes

I agree with John if you have the time go to Fraser its a lot bigger and there is more to see but there's also a lot more people. Moreton is the same type of Island just smaller with less people and a lot more camp sites on the western side which provide sheltered swimming for the kids.

If you do go to Fraser I'd suggest you pick the tides and get onto the beach at Noosa and drive up to Rainbow Beach and Inskip Pt where you catch the ferry, its a lot more pleasent than the hwy.

Cheers
Jeff
AnswerID: 120913

Reply By: GEG - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:05

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:05
Hi Cobes,

I will be going to Fraser on the 18th of Sept with my kids. One of them a 7 yo too. He is scared of dogs, and terrified with the thought of the dingoes hanging around. But we will push through with the plan. Im hoping that Fraser will be worth it considering. Im a bit worried with the thought of having to lock up our food each night etc. And the fact you cant have an open fire anymore...I cant help but think ill be getting annoyed with it all...

On the other hand, I love Moreton. You can travel all around it in a few hours, and the dolphins at the resort each night etc are fantastic.

I believe you can still light a fire, the kids will love the sand taboggoning, and the camp site near the wrecks is sheltered & so beautifull. Doubt you would get a site during the school hol's though. The best site is the couple right down the end closer to the resort. The water on the bay side is a lovely color. But, you need to book on the mi-cat (check the mi-cat.com.au website) now if you are wanting to go there in Sept. The reason Moreton is a lot quieter is because the barges book up real early, even when its not school hol's. I have many friends who have holiday houses there and say that Moreton is qld's best kept secret.

But I would try and do them all. You need at least 4 nights for fraser - they say - but 2 nights on Moreton would be enough and a nice break enabling you to quickly see it all. You can usually get over via nth stradbroke, where you could enjoy a lovely camping stopover on Flinders Beach. (and heaps of places to light fires)

A good itenary:
barge to nth straddy out of wellington point,
o'nite on nth straddy,
next morning, catch the barge to Moreton from nth straddy (it doesnt book out as quickly) where you come in at the bottom tip of the island,
stay a couple of nights,
then barge out of moreton from Benewa on the the combi trailer into brisbanes northern suburbs then straight through to fraser. The highway is quicker, teewah beach seems to have heaps of cops monitoring your everymove during the school hol's...I know I was booked along with a heap of others last sept school hol's.

have a great time and we might seeyah there.
AnswerID: 122984

Sponsored Links