Simpson Desert

Submitted: Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:26
ThreadID: 24850 Views:1641 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Any update on road conditions from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie, last update 8th July 2005 indicates all roads closed. Was going to travel west to east, however may reverse providing a few days for the tracks to dry out.

Are the tracks flooded or just wet ? Long range forecast from three sources indicate clear sky until early August.

Any feedback appreciated, will contact authorities and advise over the next few days.

Regards Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ron F (SA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:58
Mick,

Try this link
Hope this helps.

Ron F
AnswerID: 121029

Follow Up By: Member - Ron F (SA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:01

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:01
Sorry the link didn't work

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/northern.asp
FollowupID: 376098

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:13

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:13
came out there day before yesty, was wet in places, passed 9 corrollas and 120 y's heading out of there on the way.
AnswerID: 121031

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:39

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:39
Mick,

Update 18th July indicates most roads open or at least 4WD. We have had a comms (read Telstra Satelite) problem with our local road conditions reporter in that area and the desert parks do not seem to have sent out any updates however I just scoured through our data feeds to find out the latest. This is in the new update. We will endeavour to call over that way tomorrow to get the latest on the desert sections however it appears that everything is open on the most part.

The road were wet - flooded last week and impassable this was the last report we received from Mt Dare however it now seems that Transport SA northern region is reporting some roads open however the roads most of us are interested in are not on those sites and hence we rely on direct contact and updates from the people in theose locations.

I will get Juliana to try to get more info tomorrow however it appears that it is now mostly open. Now go and enjoy it....
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121035

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:44

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:44
Scratch that found some additional info now the report forthe entire SA section is updated.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 376113

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:49

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:49
Maybe scratch again - i will get it checked tomorrow directly as there are 4 reports that all conflict with each other. We will sort it - this is also the reason for the work we are doing to try to build a national unified database.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 376115

Reply By: Member - Mick (NSW) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:09

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:09
Thanks David,

Look forward to your reply and the update on road conditions. After four years of drought in Central West NSW we get nervous after 5 mil of rain.

Was heading off next week anyway, don't mind a wait providing I am prepared.

May need to update my trusty 39 ltr Engel to a larger model, dont want to be stuck drinking XXXX or Coopers, no offence to SA or QLD readers, but you just carnt brew a decent beer.

Regards Mick

AnswerID: 121043

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:29

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:29
Mick,

Updated only a few mins ago with the most accurate information available. Just so you know the SA reports are sourced from 4 different reporting agencies and several locals on the ground. Hopefully soon this will be a much more streamlined process - it is happening.

Also you may notice a new little option in the road conditions reports that talks about Interactive Feedback - this was launched at midnight last night and allows any registered user, member or customer to add comments and information to the reports. So if you happen to notice that one of our reports may be incorrect you can update it or if you are in the area and have just travelled it you can let people know of the condition. This feature has not been released anywhere else at this stage other than this post. We will highlight this in next newsletter.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 121100

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:18

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:18
Drove from Dalhousie to Oodna two days ago. The road is/was fine, good weather so it should be no problem at all at the moment. IUf heading across Simpson there is water between Dalhousie and Purni Bore that is causing a few problems but passable with care.
AnswerID: 121146

Follow Up By: Member - Mick (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:57

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:57
Thanks for the update Pat. Hope you had a great trip.

Regards

Mick
FollowupID: 376320

Sponsored Links