Trip from Sydney to Brisbane

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:01
ThreadID: 24865 Views:2298 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am emigrating from Ireland to Aus in October with my wife and 2 kids. We lived in Sydney for 2 years and have a discovery in storage there. We do not have any 4x4 training.
We have 2-3 weeks to travel from Sydney to Brisbane. We are planning a visit to Dubbo zoo and then on to Brissie possibly via a Hunter valley vineyard.
I would be grateful for suggestions as to which routes to take from Dubbo to Brissie. Should we go via the coast or inland?
We did visit the Atherton tablelands when we lived in Sydney and really enjoyed that area.
Thanks for the help,
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:07
Phil
You could try checking out www.mynrma.com.au/travel and click on planning my holiday. You can nominate your start and finish points and it will give you detailed directions and points of interest along the way. You can choose your own route and itinerary. Enjoy your trip.

Rob
AnswerID: 121092

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:07
Phil,
If you are going to Dubbo Then to The Hunter, Check out the Goulburn River Nat Park, it's on the way.
From the Hunter Valley to Brisbane, go via the Barrington Tops Nat Park.
Welcome & have fun
Vince
AnswerID: 121093

Reply By: Photoman - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:12

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:12
Hi Phil

Do you want to travel by back/dirt roads or by tar?. As you probably know, Dubbo zoo is 300km inland from Newcastle/Hunter valley region, along the Golden Highway so you will be traveling inland from there. If you want to camp and take back roads let us know, there are a few well documented routes through the Nat. Parks and Forests but its mainly fire trails with a few bits of tar to link them togather
AnswerID: 121096

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 14:19

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 14:19
Don't leave out Mudgee if you like a nice wine. Lovely place, good wineries, terrific people. For us it is a "must stop" everytime we travel in that direction.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121109

Reply By: boogum - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 14:35

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 14:35
Phil,

Are you a doctor and do you want a job in a beautiful country town.

Boogum.
AnswerID: 121112

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:12

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:12
Phil,

You will get good advice on this forum. There are people here who love to travel and travel well. Between those who contribute to this forum there are enough favourite spots to keep you busy between Sydney and Brisbane for two years let alone two weeks.

My advice is to get hold of some good books and start reading. One place to start is with a book called "Explore Australia by Four-Wheel-Drive. The original was written by Peter & Kim Wherret sponsored by BP and published by Claremont in 1995. Copyright is held by Penguin Books Australia. ISBN0 670 86381 5. A later edition was sponsored by BF Goodrich Tyres ISBN 0-7343-0092-1

It contains detailed route maps for an entire circumnavigation of Aus and info on trip planning, camping and driving a 4x4.

The circumnavigation is broken up into short sections that you can do as one or two day trips. These sections are rated for difficulty and include an estimate of the time needed to complete them. I am an experienced 4wder and recently did a section from the book just north of Grafton, just over half way from Syd to Brissie via the coast, and was suprised at how accurate the timing and difficulty rating were.

This is just one of many good publications that could help you heaps. Have a look at what is availabel through the Adventure Shop on this site. There are other booksellers who will also be happy to advise you and mail books to Ireland if necessary.

There is one spot I will recommend. If you are in the Murwillumbah area and the weather is fine the climb to the top of Mt Warning is rewarded with the most extensive 360 view you will get on the north coast of NSW. Allow most of the day set off early and take some refreshments. Don't know how old your kids are but if they are 10ish or older and reasonable walkers they should handle it OK. The top section is quite steep with a chain in place to assist you, but what a view!!!

Hope this helps
Duncs

Also, if you have not done any training why not book in for a weekend course when you get here, you will have a good time (take Mum and the Kids) and learn heaps.
AnswerID: 121279

Follow Up By: phil - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:15

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:15
Thanks for all the help. I think given our experience we should stick to the better roads, with perhaps short trips off for the day.
Stangely enough in reply to Boogum, I am a doctor but I already have a job in Brisbane.
I think we could stop in Mudgee on our way to Dubbo and then travel on North afetr that.
thanks again,
Phil
FollowupID: 376877

Sponsored Links