GPS 101

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 13:21
ThreadID: 24866 Views:1664 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
What an amazing forum. Some of you blokes are legends.
Can any one give me some advice on GPSs. We are off to the Kimbelies later this year and I wanted to take a hand held GPS. The colour ones are pretty pricey retail. There is a colour Magellan on ebay for $300. Has anyone got a Sportrak Color? Any problems with it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:11

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:11
Sportrak colors are ok - had one once but found the buttons too small and fiddly. Color screen can not be seen well in bright light - great at night. New eXplorists have very good colour screen visble in bright light - try your hardeat to justify getting one. Dont know about garmins.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 121143

Reply By: I'm no Guru - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:11
Kimmo,
I have a Sportrack Pro - the model below the Sportrak Colour I think. It has worked flawlessly for the past 12 months. Easy to read and no hassles with buttons etc. but on my last trip the unit failed in under 10 minutes - very frustrating. I was unable to boot on any power source. Magellan now have it to determine the issues.
When working the unit was fantastic - now I am a little wary.
I would be concerned about second hand - the repairs could outway the difference in cost between new with warranty and cheaper second hand.
AnswerID: 121173

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:00
Just to clarify - buttons on ST Color are different to ST Pro (had one of them too - good unit - buttons are bigger/better). All the Magellan units (and other GPS units) do same thing - tell you where you are, so identify specific shortcomings - eg shortcomings of ST color (apart from stupid Australian price for new units) as mentioned before are small, close buttons (nothing wrong with small buttons as long as there is some space between them eg explorist), color screen is now old fashion and superceded with better technology. ST units have limited internal memory - aim for a unit with (for example) SD card capability - Meridian or eXplorist -more room for detailed maps - may or may not be an issue - but dont limit yourself if you have a choice. Again no idea of Garmin units - may or may not be better option.

With respect to second hand units - always some risk (even with new units without warranty) - every situation different - weigh up costs, unit history etc - suspect most times you will be OK.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 376244

Reply By: V8 Landcruiser man - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:13

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:13
Hi there Kimmo.
I brought the mio-136 with destinator v3 only a month ago for $700 its a great gps plus a great voice navigator and it has all the Australian maps on it including dirt roads and fire trails and forrestry roads i love it and for the extra $400 well worth it in my eyes.

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 121321

Sponsored Links