60 series v 80 series??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 15:49
ThreadID: 24875 Views:8190 Replies:16 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
HELP!!! If it wasnt confusing enough already I have just had a long indepth chat to a 4x4 repair expert about purchasing an 80 series.
I am planning to travel oz in 2007(see my post 24820) and was looking to buy an 80series deisel LC so I rang this guy for a list of what to look out for and what to pay.
He gave me a list of all the problems that i would expect to get from an 80 series(1990-1993) and was warned off the GXL model.The later 80's are creeeping out of my budget($17000) so was advised to get an import 60 series sahara(1988-89)TD and spend around 2k replacing all the hoses etc and a massive service.
Now I am totally confused(and no thats not cause im blonde..well i am!!) and as I am left to do the car shopping(hubby works away and long hours) I need to be armed with as much info as possible.
SO for all you die hard cruiser owners out there can you offer me your unbiased opinion.I will be purchasing the LC in the next week or so(once I sell my current toy.."03 magna with vrx kit) and this will be a cash sale so I dont want to get ripped off.I am pretty good when it comes to my knowledge of cars but am way out of my comfort zone when it comes to 4x4.
All your 2 cents worth would be much appreciated.
CHEERS
katrina
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:42

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:42
Hi Katrina
I understand that you are going to travel around Aus.
With this in mind I would still opt for the 80# I own 4 and have had no troubles with any of them, they are used for work and play.I had 60 a few years ago they were good trucks to but they are past their prime now
I do not know what you were told but the 80s really do not give a lot of trouble.
They have a larger engine than the 60 and are far more fuel efficient. Most things are relatively easy to repair and will usually get you home. For the long haul I think they are more comfortable.
Also as you are travelling you will be able to get your truck serviced by most places as it is a truck in common use and service parts may be in stock.
All my trucks are Jap imports. I do not have a problem with that. they just need a really good service.
You might even look at an inport 80# They are 24 volt and that has a lot of advantages.
Hope this helps you
Ray
AnswerID: 121141

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:54
Katrina,

Go for the 80series. They have coil spring suspension which can be easily and cheaply upgraded if needed. Leaf springs in the 61 series now cost a fortune to fix up.

The 1Hz motor in the 80series has almost the same output and the 12H-T in the import 61series. Ands the import 61 series is 24volt, so adding 12V accessories and replacing batteries can be a hassle.

I've owned a 61 series TD, and it was agreat vehicle, but they are getting older now.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 121142

Reply By: crewser - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:15

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:15
Why were you warned off the gxl? on the second hand market you will find most gxl`s have hardly been offroad. most were brouht as family cars. a decent standed l/c is hard to find most have been used as work vehicles. an 80 series should hold it resale value better than an import. test drive both an see what you like. 80`s are a lot better ride (coils) than a 60. check out insurance on imports to some imports are hard($$$$) to insure. $17000 should get you a decent 80 series.
AnswerID: 121145

Follow Up By: kat - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:42
This guy(who only repairs 4wd) reckons that th gxl model were a hassel coz they are constant 4wd. Reckons the brakes are smaller too.
The car that I am very interested in is a 1990 gxl diesel with 230k on the clock.Looks straight and honest (well for a car in the yard anyway!) and seems to be in good nick...no rust cant see evidence of a respray,motor nice and clean(degreaser works wonders eh!!) and to me seemed not too bad for 4 $17900...of course it would get a screw down to around $16000!! I can also purchase a 3yr warrenty that covers me aus wide for an extra $900.
I posted just to get an opinion.I personally like the 80's better but was shocked whenI heard this info from the repair guy.
Besides the 80's look better and heh its a chick thing!! LOL
thanks for your advice
CHEERS
katrina
FollowupID: 376198

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:20

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:20
Not a cruiser man myself but a relative had a 92 80 series TD GXL from new - he had it for about 10 years as his everyday car but also did Cape York, NT and the Kimberlys. All up he did about 300,000km. He didn't seem to have any real problems and the few times I drove it, it seemed to go really well and was comfortable. The only real problem was collapsed wheel bearing during the Kimberly trip about 600k from anywhere but he still got to a town. He supposedly had the stealer replace them before the trip but they were not done - hence the failure - stealer still charged $600.

The 60 series is a bit rough so I would definintely go 80 series but they are also getting long in the tooth so I would be wary of any car that age.

Don't get an early 80 petrol though - the engine doesn't do the car justice and was more suited to the 60 series.

My 2c worth
AnswerID: 121148

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:56
Hi Katrina
The early 80# had smaller brakes than the later models, that does not mean that they are poor.
Ray
AnswerID: 121153

Follow Up By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:59

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:59
sorry I ment to add that the constant 4 wheel drive will not present any problems for you, ( some people just do not like it ) with your touring and possibly pulling a trailer it will be a much easier and safer truck top drive
Ray
FollowupID: 376201

Reply By: I'm no Guru - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:02

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:02
Hi Kat,
Trip sounds great. I'm no mechanical genius but used to drive Rangerovers for a long time before I saw the light. All I can say is the TD 80s GXL I have had for the past 5 years has been fanatastic. We have had half a dozen trips through the NW of WA and a 3 week Wiluna to Yulara via the Gunbarrell and back trip 2 years ago without the 80s missing a single beat. From my perspective the vehicle is one of the best.
My experinece with the 60 series has been thirsty, noisy and a rough riding although my farther in law has a mid 1980's 60s Deisel with nearly 500k on the clock and has never touched it !
My choice would be the 80s everytime.

Good luck
AnswerID: 121168

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:58

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:58
Hi Kat

Its all been said, buit have to add my bit too. Go for the 80s. 230,000 for a 1990 model is low mileage, the brakes work, the suspension beats the daylight out of the 60 s and the engine is super reliable. And the GXL is a very comfortable wagon - mainly because its designed for the "Mum's taxi" market.

The drive line clicks a bit when you start of in reverse or something but I have never heard of the constant 4wd actually doing anything harmful. You've got time to drive it before the big trip and find the bugs, and have a competent 4WD do a pre-trip preparation before you head off.

Happy touring!
Max
AnswerID: 121188

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:12
Buy a Nissan Patrol. GQ or GU 4.2 litre diesel

Normally $5,000 to $10,000 cheaper than a Toyota and twice as strong.
AnswerID: 121195

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:12
Hi Katrina
All 80's are good, the early t/d had problems that would all be ironed out now, the early petrols were underpowerwed and thirsty. The std van 1hz was arguably the best model, because of the part time 4wd and simplicity.
Milage wise, if it doesnt have books, dont believe it.....as with any cruiser, if it dont come with books...be scared, they cost alot to repair.
Now, for your comparison, i looked at a 1998 100 series gxl 1hz today for 25k in a yard...not bad nick, 220kms....you should be able to get a 95-97 80 series std 1hz for 17....if you were to stake out the local auction house, you will get a 2000 100 series std for 17 easy....
Andrew
AnswerID: 121196

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:49
I owned a 60 series and loved it to pieces. But on corregations the difference between springs and coils can be the difference between a bone rattling workout and a comfortable drive. After owning a diesel 80 for 8 years I'd never go back to the springs...never ever :))
AnswerID: 121205

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:26
Well I am with Willem on this one. Go the GQ Patrol. Tough as nails comfortable, capable, reliable and cheap.

My GQ had 385,000km on the clock when I traded it. The owner before me was Overlander Magazine and they flogged it. I took it from Sydney to WA, Cape York and heaps of other places with lots of playing in the Blue Mountains.

The last trip I did was Broken Hill to Sydney 13 hours door to door. While I am more than happy with the GU I sometimes wish I'd kept it.

Duncs
AnswerID: 121221

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:32
Katrina,
Sorry, I'm with Willem, I don't know if you have an aversion to Patrol's but I had a 92 GQ ST, great motor, reliable drive train, spares and accessories are plentiful plus you might get a bit more "bang for your buck". No I've never owned a L/C so I don't have a lot of experience with them, club members at the club I belong to do have them and some have had more troubles with their constant drive system up front, varied problems but they are never cheap to fix. Some members wouldn't drive anything else, it's a choice thing. The Patrol gives you the choice, 2 wheel or 4 wheel, so for normal around town work you don't need the front axle connected. Saves that little bit of fuel and wear and tear. I don't want to start a Toyota V Nissan discussion I'm passed that I'm just offering you an opinion if you haven't considered the option. Take one for a drive, the Patrol model I had was coils all round, discs all round and had the sway bar disconnect on the back, great for that extra bit of articulation for the fun times. Drive train from hell, indestructible. As usual my opinions and experiences.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 121226

Follow Up By: kat - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:57
SO I guess my next post should be patrol or cruiser??!! LOL
I think I will take you all up on one bit of advice though.... test drive them all.
I just want something that will see me in the city for the next 17mths and will see me thru the big hike in 2007.I just am petrified that I will get stuck with a bloody big lemon!! I gave mt hubby hell for 2 years when he bought an EB falcon.sure it was a worked 6 but the company that he chose to fit the recon motor in and gearbox ripped us off big time!!To the tune of $6000!!! More than what teh car was worth. So now I have teh decision making about the cars.I bought an es magna with the vrx kit and had no problems.I had already test drove it and wangled a deal before he even saw it!LOL
Anyway I will keep up my hunt for my new beast but I am sooo appreciative of all your advice and help.Once I get her I will join up as a member coz you lot are worth it.
CHEERS
katrina
P.S Martyn do youlive down green bushes way or were you just passing thru.A chappy whom I saw like a second dad lived down there for many years on the main drag and I have spent a bit of time sown there myself.Sadly he passed away in October of 2003.Miss him terribly. Any way just askin!
FollowupID: 376269

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 00:37

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 00:37
Kat,
Nah, don't live in Greenbushes, I'm about 15 mins South of the city. My wife and I do a fair bit of camping and the like South of Perth, anywhere that looks interesting. We just jolly around dropping in on places and having a look. Greenbushes had a huge minesite worth a visit. sorry to hear about your loss.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 376272

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 21:03

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 21:03
dont believe the nissans are cheaper crowd, I was looking for a simular vehicle to what you describe and could see no difference in the second hand prices. Ended up with an 80 series std diesal with around 200k with heaps of extras for an all up price of 15k which was after i put a new radiator in it new rear hub and did the brakes up including new rear discs. best advice I will give you is stay away from caryards
FollowupID: 376466

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:34

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:34
Kat, the motor in the imported 60 series is a good one, but they are hellishly expensive to repair if anything major happens.

Coil springs are the go, no question about that.

Go the 80 series, or as stated above, look at a 4.2d patrol.
AnswerID: 121227

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 14:12

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 14:12
Kat,

I am an owner of a 92 Turbo Diesel 80 series and have also owned a GQ Patrol (Maverick) which was also turbo diesel... for touring I would go the cruiser as the drive is far more refined and car like than that of the patrol.. if you are looking to be doing a bit of competition rock crawling then the patrol has an advantage of a bit stronger drive line but other than that the cruiser is my choice hands down... even the patrol owners get in my car and say how nice it is to drive compared to their car...

On the subject of the one you are looking at.... it is over priced at $17000.00. You can pick standard diesel wagons far cheaper than that... It would have to be something pretty special to earn that sort of money in my books...

I would either go the GXL (like mine) the constant 4x4 is no problem and saves you having to decide if you need 4x4 or not and if you hit an unexpected mud patch you don't have to get out and lock in your front hubs either..

Have a reputable mechanic have a look at whatever you are going to buy before you sign anything and also have a look at the red book price on the net for a good indication of the going cost of a particular vehicle (Patrol or Cruiser)..

I really don't think there is going to be too much difference for a tourer between the Toyota and Nissan apart from personal preference... as far as diesel motors etc 300,000 klm's isn't that much, they are capable of far more than that...

The early 80 series (pre August 1992) have smaller brakes on them and from all reports they are a bit difficult to pull up....

After all that... my advice is.... give that particular 80 series a miss and find a mechanic who will give you an un biased opinion on the car you are looking at... sounds like the one you have spoken to has led you astray a little...

Cheers
AnswerID: 121303

Follow Up By: kat - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 02:23

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 02:23
Thankyou for your advice!
After my dealings with this un named incompetant car yard in Midland today I will NEVER EVER EVER(get the idea) stick one toe into a yard again!
I was really keen on this 1990 gxl(as previously stated) got a deisel mech to give the once over for me(i wouldnt have a clue bout deisel motors) and was ready to talk biz with the imported git sales rep!
Well he wouldnt budge on the price(reckons it was a steal even at $17000..even though he prob bought it in as a trade in for $9-10) then he totally insulted my intellegence by stating my current toy(an es magna with sports kit/like vrx kit) was only worth $12000 at best..and that was a real push he reckons!! Yes i am fully aware that it is a magna but this car has all the fruit and is in perfect condition.Now how is it that a car that I bought 7 months ago for $26000 cash can drop $14000 in value?? What an idiot! So I am meant to hand over my 2 year old car and PAY an extra $5000 for an 80series that is 15 years old!! Then bet ya bum I would drive past in a week and see my magna 4 sale for $23000(curret value on market coz of its fruit!)
What an IDIOT!!
Just coz im blonde and have boobs doesnt mean I am a total retard(well add tooheys extra dry and you might say other wise LOL)
SO needless to say I told him to stick his car yard where only things exit from and left him standing there in the rain.
Point of the story is..... well none really just wanted to vent my anger!!
So now my car is for sale privately and I am on the hunt for my 80!!
Watch this space!
have a great night!!
CHEERS
katrina
FollowupID: 376514

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 10:29

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 10:29
I will re iterate my point from further up NEVER buy from caryards it just doesnt make sense. Why pay more to go through a bottom feeding scum sucking middle man. Did it once when yong and dumb but certainly since and wouldnt again
FollowupID: 376537

Reply By: Emo - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:53

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:53
I would go for the 80 series every time. I just bought a 1993 GXL petrol with 159,000 km's on the clock with new AT tyres, 2 inch lift, CD player, auto, towbar, bullbar, spotties, tint etc etc for $15,500. I love it.
AnswerID: 121417

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 10:40

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 10:40
This is the old can of worms but make a decision on which fuel you want to use also...

At the moment diesel fuel in generally more expensive (usually by about 15c per litre in Qld) but the 80 series will use about 12 litres per 100klm and about 15 litres per 100klm's towing.... this is far better economy than most petrols will achieve ... from all accounts it looks like the petrols get around the 20 - 25 litre per hundred (correct me if I am wrong here please)

If you are on petrol you can have it fitted with LPG which is probably a good alternative around town etc but when you start getting out bush etc it may not be available all the time which may present some problems.

The petrol motors have a bit more get up and go but don't go thinking that it will take 15 minutes to get up to speed in the diesel though especially if you end up with a turbo diesel as mine has plenty of go in it..

Just to confuse the issue a bit more for you.

Cheers
AnswerID: 121423

Sponsored Links