GQ Patrol 4.2 EFI Fuel Pick Up

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:15
ThreadID: 24879 Views:2938 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
On a recent trip to the Kimberley, the above vehicle when off road gave all the indications that it had run out of fuel when the guage showed it still had at least a third of a tank left.On the second occasion i twigged to the problem and put a jerry of fuel in and it fixed the problem. We continued our journey ensuring we kept the fuel level up. Once we were back on the bitumen the problem did not re-occur and we ran the vehicle to below a quarter before refuelling. The other thing I noticed when it was playing up was the fuel pump was making a strange noise and when I removed the fuel cap there was a tremendous whoosh of air. The strange noise i think was the pump sucking air and causing a vacuum in the tank. Any answers from all the GQ experts out there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:24
If when you removed the fuel cap it sucked in air, your breather is bloked.. it cant suck in air to replace the fuel its used out of the tank.

I have had a similar issue when I fitted a LRT, it wouldnt work with 1/4 tank, it would run out.... thats with the modified pickup. I gave up
AnswerID: 121211

Reply By: mechpete - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 23:10
Hi cloughie,
just read ya article on fuel pickup GQ4.2 efi ,I have one myself and I also have a 145lt LRA tank and it uses the original tank sender/pump assembly . Have just returned from the Canning Stock Route ( excellent trip ) the vehicle has also
crossed the Simpson ,the Gibb River Rd & a few other trips & mine will run
until it runs almost dry, the sucking noise is OK its the way the Evap emission system works,the only trouble I,ve had is the fuel pump lost some pressure and it was hard to start when cold only ,been ok since replaced it . By the way auto trans is sensational in both High Country and Desert Country, 2nd GQ auto I,ve
had bit hard on fuel !! but there still making the stuff
Cheers mechpete Shepp.
AnswerID: 122220

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)