Subaru Outback to Fraser Island

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 20:59
ThreadID: 24888 Views:12896 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has driven or seen any Subaru Outback 2.5l AWD at Fraser Island. I remember one year seeing one at the carpark near the Champagne Pools, but would like to know if it can go as far as Ngala Rocks as the sand track there is very soft with deep tracks.
The Subaru Outback ground clearance is quite low and I am not sure if it can make it past the soft sands at Indian Heads.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moz - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:22
G'day Con,
Friends took their's with us a couple of years ago.
They went over at Inskip and travelled up the beach as far
as Pyangang(spelling?) Rocks just north of Eurong.
They didn't try to get any further north but they did get in behind
the dunes to our campsite.
You are right the low clearance did become an issue in places,
so it would be handy to have a friend with something a bit
taller to pull you through.

Cheers
Moz
AnswerID: 121210

Reply By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:36
I own a touring wagon subaru and once spoke to a guy who took his model like mine to fraizer. When i queried him on the ruts he said he put one wheel on the middle (from memory it's fairly wide, a QLDer will confirm) and the other wheel on the edge and said it went fine, in fact he was quite confident in his car. I would think 2wice tho, perhaps better than road tyres and a slight bit of lift would go down well.
AnswerID: 121231

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 23:17

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 23:17
Road tyres are fine on sand - pressures are the key.
Cheers
Greg
Sandgroper
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 376270

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 23:44

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 23:44
Hi Con

WE used to live in Qld and spend 4 weeks each year at Sandy cape and used to do 5 long weekend trips every year, over the last 10 years for me and 25 years for my girlfriend (she is now 30). We one saw a suburu north of south Ngala, but they were traveling with a cruiser. If you can get past the back of indian head, you might be lucky and drive around the bottom of Ngala rocks as it has been easier to pass around the bottom the last few times we have been there. If you want to do it, low tyre pressure, always walk over them hard parts first to assess if you think you will get through, rather than have a go and get stuck, have some one do this with a handheld uhf, momentum is the key,try and travel with someone, chat to people who have just gone over and have the snatch strap handy.

Have a ball

Ads
AnswerID: 121235

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 23:50

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 23:50
Hi con
I agree with explorer and with a bit of care and the right track will get through Indian Head just dont follow the buses or will be belly up real quick, let a few cars though first. Seen a subi at happy valley with 6x4 box trail fully loaded and he seamed to have no trouble. Orchard beach might be pushing it though but hey happy to be proven wrong.
regards ross
AnswerID: 121238

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 08:40

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 08:40
I wish I had a dollar for every Subaru I've snatched on Fraser.....
Clearance is your enemy. If the sand is dry and soft you probably wo'nt get past Indian Head. "Full grown" 4wds have problems there. If you do, the track to Waddy will be a real test. As for going around the Ngala rocks, last time I was up there (6 months ago) the bypass track was VERY soft and deep and no chance of going around the beach.
Stay south of Indian and you'll have a ball. Lots of tracks down there you can get stuck on too ;-)
AnswerID: 121262

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 20:47
I currently have a proper4wd but in the past have had a subaru - on flat soft sand a subaru will always be better that a big heavy 4wd - ruts and hills are different though - they handle sand like a suzuki but ground clearance and ruts can be a problem. I have had my suby up past indian head without problem but previously to that I had major problems in a Suzuki Sierra, a much more capable 4wd. So it can be done - be careful, recognise your limitations and if in doubt - don't. Ngala Rocks might be pushing it but if you can sweet talk someone to cover you give it a go - common sense.

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 121368

Follow Up By: GEG - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 10:32

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 10:32
I know a friend who took his xtrail to fraser and got bogged constantly. One time it was getting late and no one was around except hire vehicles who kept saying they wearnt allowed to tow him. He has now decided to hire a proper 4 wd next time he goes.

I have another friend who lost his 4wd to Ngala Rocks. He is bitter about the whole thing too.

Dont spoil your holiday, stay close to areas suitable for your type of car.

good luck.
FollowupID: 378102

Reply By: Leonora - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 13:13

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 13:13
took my Subaru wagon to Fraser a few ago (before there were any ramps). Got towed a couple of times but people always very helpful and it's almost part of the fun. Got as far as the rocks but time and tide was against us. If you talk to Subaru club people they reckon they can climb trees.
AnswerID: 121808

Sponsored Links