Camping hot water service

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:23
ThreadID: 24893 Views:1947 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Just a question regarding how to make a camp hot water service. When I was in scouts(many moons ago!) we used to have a hot water service that used to sit on the edge of the fire place. Would anybody out there know how to make one of these? As I remember(correct me if I am wrong) it was made with a 20ltr steel drum. Thanks for any help.
Matt Brook

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 07:50

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 07:50
G'day Matt

See if you can get your hands on an old 5 gal beer keg. Best by far, stainless so lasts forever.

You'll need a pipe and male threaded bung for the tap hole. Weld a plate over the original filler point .... you'll find it's down on the opposite side to the tap hole so no good.

Get a piece of stainless pipe welded through a new hole adjacent to the bung hole. This pipe should extend about 20mm outside the keg and be long enough to go inside to within about 20mm of the opposite inside.

Now make up a cradle so the keg can lie on it's side with the tap hole at the top along with the new filler hole.

When it's full of hot water, simply pour more cold water in through the filler hole using a bucket and funnel. This goes down the pipe to the bottom of the keg, displacing the hot water and forcing it out the spout.

Same principle as a storage hot water system.

Cheers
AnswerID: 121249

Follow Up By: Mattbrook - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 13:38

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 13:38
Thanks for your help Rosco. Much Appreciated.
Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 376358

Sponsored Links