Fitting TinyTach Tacho to 80 Series diesel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:35
ThreadID: 24905 Views:3953 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

I've searched the forums and archives to find out how to fit an aftermarket tacho to a diesel.

TinyTach seems a good option except that the website only offers transducers to fit 6mm, 1/4" and 7mm injector lines, while the fuel line on the 80 series is 4.8mm or 3/16".

I've had no response to an email I sent the company last Friday, and the Oz distributors are less than helpful.

I figure I may be able to turn up a sleeve to go over the fuel line to bring it up to a standard trasnducer size, but am not willing to spend the money on something which I won't be able to get to work.

Has anyone had any success in fitting one of these units to an 80 series, and how did you overcome the transducer size issue?

Thanks and regards,
Norbert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jt - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:23

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:23
Hi Norbrat i have a little of information about the tinytach
please email me on fordfalcon69@hotmail.com
AnswerID: 121324

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 19:08
I've got one fitted to my humvee, works a treat. I also found the Oz distributors to be less than helpful and about 2 1/2 times the price including shipping.
The yanks did take a while to respond to email but they shipped it pronto and I actually had the tach before I'd paid for it.
Mine cost $au98 delivered to my door in 5 days.
I'd reckon you could put a sleeve on the fuel line so the transducer clamped correctly.
Even something like a piece of copper pipe would work ok I'd reckon.
I've got mine hooked up to 12v but it will work on a 9v smoke alarm battery.
the only drawback is that it isn't backlit for night use but It should be possible to mount it in the instrument panel so that the dash lights illuminate it. I just got a red led and stuck it in front of mine to light up the display.
It keeps track of revs in single rpm's, two service periods, total running hours and the max rpm reached, the latter was very interesting as I'd never of thought the V8 in the Humvee would pull 3500 rpm, must have missed a gear ;-))
Any questions on the unit ask away.
AnswerID: 121351

Follow Up By: Norbrat - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 19:36
Hi Peter

Thanks mate. I have no doubt the unit works well.

It seems that the transducer is a strain guage and works by "reading" the swelling of the injector line each pulse, so I'm just concerned that packing the line out to take up the extra diameter will stop the transducer from doing it's job. The installation instructions even suggest removing the paint from the line, so it must be pretty sensitive.

I'm still hopeful that the folks at TinyTach will get back to me. I will probably end up ordering a unit anyway and just live with the $100 loss if I can't get it to work.

I suppose I haven't had the truck long enough yet to have the attitude that owning a 4WD is like standing in a cloud of bull dust tearing up $100 bills! (like the sailor's lament of standing under a cold shower tearing up $100 bills!) :-)

Thanks again, regards, Norbert

FollowupID: 376444

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 20:00
Norbet
My Tiny tach transducer for 1/4" lines wasn't what I would call an exact fit on the line.
the two halves of the transducer ended up about 2-3mm apart even though the two little bolts were done up tight. So they were only a segment rather than a full circle contact on the line, almost as if they were the wrong size. But hey it works well.
Peter
AnswerID: 121361

Follow Up By: Norbrat - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:33

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:33
Hi Peter

Tight is good, but the problem with fitting the 6mm transducer to a 4.8mm line is that it will be loose.

I got a reply from TinyTach this morning to say that he thinks the line is likely to be 5mm, not 4.8mm. OK! But I still bet on my verniers which definitely show 4.8mm at 3 different places.

What he didn't tell me was if they had a transducer to fit, so I've replied and asked that question. We'll see what they come back with.

Regards, Norbert

FollowupID: 376544

Sponsored Links